BARDSLJR

Back to that Fireboard thingie.....

Well, if you recall, in our last episode, my Fireboard 2 had a failure, and was showing the battery totally depleted. The unit would turn on, but then itself off again in less than a minute. After about 20 tries, I got the unit to re-set and was able to charge the battery up fully. So I put it away until this last weekend, three weeks later, when I intended to do some babyback ribs. But guess what? No battery and it wouldn't charge at all this time. So I would have ride bareback, so to speak, go commando (where did that phrase originate from, anyway?)....go old school. Wing it. I had to control the temps myself, manually. AND I would need a new temperature gauge, since the Fireboard sensor had been providing that function for the last two years. So a trip to Home Depot.....and I was in business.

Happily, I can report that although there were a few ups and downs, overall I managed to keep the temps within a decent cooking range, and got really good results: see photo.

So the unit went back to Fireboard Labs in Kansas, and I am really happy to report that their service is just GREAT! Scott Myers at Fireboard stayed in touch with me by email throughout the process, acknowledging the receipt of the unit, informing me about progress, and finally when it was done. Best, the problem was just a bad battery, and the whole fix only cost $20, and it should be on its way back right now. Can't say enough good things about Fireboard Labs. Looking forward to doing some pork shoulder next.

IMG_3800.jpeg

• Like 4