gotwood

Any chance in future of Metal Exterior??

A valid concern, too.

Some *other* manufacturers products are famous for losing their tiles. Dennis has corrected the issue by addressing the underlying causes of the problem. Most importantly, the cookers are kiln dried to remove any moisture before tiling. They are also heated to 800 degrees.

The tile on a KK is held in on all four lateral sides, as well as the backside by mortar. The grout is not structural on a KK, but only cosmetic - and comes sealer from the factory to ensure moisture stays out.

While I dont have a crystal ball to look 10 years into the future, I am fairly confident in the tile adhesion of my KK. Not so much on my mexican K, which has whole sections of loose tile and grout separation. One thing you can be certain of, though, is that if your tile does fail, *this* manufacturer will replace the grill.

I will let Dennis speak to the possibility of metal-clad KKs, but textured is an option, too.

Re: Any chance in future of Metal Exterior??

I worry about tile adhesion.
It seems Dennis has the tile problem licked. But there's always the option of textured, or "stucco" finish. No tiles to fall off!

There's a hand hammered copper prototype out there (photo on the forum boards somewhere) , but (airc) the price would be astronomical. As it would have to be. Same with stainless. And powder coat would be like dressing a goddess in a dirty gunny sack. Bleh!

Consider a textured - they're really pretty, lots of colors to pick from, AND they're readily available!

I worry about tile adhesion.
It seems Dennis has the tile problem licked. But there's always the option of textured, or "stucco" finish. No tiles to fall off!

There's a hand hammered copper prototype out there (photo on the forum boards somewhere) , but (airc) the price would be astronomical. As it would have to be. Same with stainless. And powder coat would be like dressing a goddess in a dirty gunny sack. Bleh!

Consider a textured - they're really pretty, lots of colors to pick from, AND they're readily available!

Enamel coated or Automotive type paint would rock, imo. My spicewine smoker has the blazing copper finish on the Ford Edge

the copper one sounds like it is what i would prefer. and that should really not be that much more than a tiled unit. much less labor

Auto paint or enamel - different story. :)

My M's kitchen cabinets and trim were painted in 1968 with blue paint for 1957 Studebaker trucks. 39 years later, it's still rocking! No chips, no marks, nothing. Have to change the oil every few months, though. :wink:

the copper one sounds like it is what i would prefer. and that should really not be that much more than a tiled unit. much less labor

I am going to have to say that is not the case. Hand hammered copper would be a lot more labor and cost of the copper are considerably more than tile. An option for you, find a custom tile (they make metal tiles - copper and others) and ask Dennis to make a custom one for you.

Now, the downside to metal. In two words, heat conduction! Anywhere metal passes through, especially above the fire - ouch! The side table bolts or even the rotis when it is connected. Any metal passing through from inside to out will conduct the heat right on out and cause some pretty hot to touch areas. The closer to the grill (such as a skin), the worse it would be.

But Firemonkey is right, last we heard, that project was scrapped.

-=Jasen=-