Sanny

Corn

This is more a technique than a recipe, so here it lives. :)

I did a yummy method of fresh corn on the grill today (for a time while the butts were roasting).

Snap off the "horn" on the bottom of the ear. Take off the outer layers of husk, but not the several inner ones. Open the inner ones and take the silk off, then put the inner ones back.

Soak the corn in water for an hour or so, in its inner husk. Then put it on the grill.

Mine was yummy smoky from the low and slow. Hotter fire would have made it more roasty, and probably would have cooked it faster.

It slices off the 'bone' really easily (for those whose teeth or, like me, jaw, won't let us bite it off).

I often do them similarly, only I dont remove the silk before roasting. I always feel like its going to come back apart while I move it around on the grill.

I cut off most of the stem, then use scissors to cut off any of the husk that hangs away from the ear, and all the silk hanging out of the top. I soak it if there is any question as to how fresh it is, then grill along with whatever is cooking for as long as it takes.

Nope, and my unscientific opinion is that the silk probably holds additional moisture to steam while it cooks.

The silk comes off cleanly with the outer husk after its cooked. Actually easier than it does when raw. It kind of sticks to the husk when you pull it away. All you have to do is just grab the top of the ear and peel back the silk and husk all at once.

I like mine "roastier". (Good new word uyou came up with there, Sanny. You oughta copyright it)

Direct heat,450-500F dome (in a K5 :oops: ) with only the inner two or three layers of husk for protection and the silk removed.

Takes about 15-20 min. turning frequently to get that appropriate browning that *Smells*So*Darned*Good! :toothy10:

That said, some of the best corn I've ever had was put on the coldest end of a Bandera and smoked entire over oak along with a brisket until the shucks were BLACK.

I guess anything in between goes, eh?

dub(mourning the passing of corn season as I type this)