Saucier

KK #329 smokes up first product!

Well, yesterday I finally got around to cooking in my new KK. Its new nickname is officially "'Ol Blue"

Whipped up a batch of rub, and rubbed down two pork butts, and let them soak overnight.

Prepared a basket full of Royal oak, with large chunks of cherry wood mixed in, lit it from the top with a weed torch, and put in the heat deflector and grates, popped them both on, along with the bbq guru goodies, dialed it up to 250 and let it rip.

Temp went quickly up to 200, then slowly inched up to 250, where it stayed most of the day.

Internal temp went up to 178, and then leveled off after about 8 hours. I had to turn off the ramp mode on the guru, and manually set the pit temp to 250, to finally get my internal temp to 190 where it was supposed to be.

Pulled the butts off and let them rest for an hour. Then pulled em.

Alls I can say is WOW! I have smoked lots of butts (pork that is) over the years, in lots of different smokers, but this stuff was friggin awesome! The texture was perfect, it had formed a really great bark, and the mixture of oak & cherry was just the ticket! I have never had better PP ever!

I had been simmering a batch of bbq sauce all day too, and served it all up to 5 guests on white rolls, with some salad (wife's idea) home made bleu cheese dresssing, and my homemade red beans (will post that recipe if anyone is interested).

Didn't hear any complaints, just loud chewing noises coming from the table (like on the Simpsons when they eat) :)

Tomorrow comes brisket!

buttcc1.th.jpg

cookerul6.th.jpg