Saucier

Brisket.

Well, while I was fixin to buy those pork butts, I noticed this poor lonesome brisket, sitting all by itself, and threw it in the cart.

So the butts were so good, I rubbed this down last night, and got up this morning and fired it up all over again!

I am now sitting in my Lazyboy chair, having a cuppa Jo, and fooling around on the laptop, while the bbq guru sits on its little stand and keeps me appraised of the whaddyacall situmanation.

This KK cooking is tough business!

photo16eo7.th.jpg

photo15ze5.th.jpg

]

have you considered separating the point from the flat after cooking and slicing separate? the grain of the flat and the point run opposite of one another. plus, your point (in general) can take a few more hours of slow cooking due to all the fat in there. plus plus :) there's a layer of not-so-nice fat and large blood vessels separating the point and flat that are not very nice to eat. separating them after cooking lets you clean that stuff out.

you will defo like the chuck roll if you have ANY fondness for brisket. it is yummy!

Trial spearation, brisket style

I have considered separating them, but seems like too much of a pain. The flat of course comes out a bit less moist, but I serve that part to the neophytes and imbeciles :twisted:, and save the point for the gourmands :)

Do you like the chuck roll deal ? How do you carve those, just slice away? Maybe do enough for dinner, then chill the rest and do some slicing??

I went by Sam's today, they had them about 16lbs for 2.08 / lb. Not any fat on them, do they come out ok anyway???

Just curios :)

Re: Trial spearation, brisket style

I have considered separating them' date=' but seems like too much of a pain. The flat of course comes out a bit less moist, but I serve that part to the neophytes and imbeciles :twisted:, and save the point for the gourmands :)[/quote']

Actually, if you prep it for that purpose to begin with, they separate very easy when the flat is ready. Check out my post on Portrait of a Beef Brisket in the cooking photo section. Basically, just cut the fat where you see the separation area so it will be easy to identify when cooked. I just took a big grill spatchula and they practically fell apart. Lifted out the flat, cooled it quick to stop the cooking process and left the tips on the cooker.

-=Jasaen=-

Re: Trial spearation, brisket style

Basically' date=' just cut the fat where you see the separation area so it will be easy to identify when cooked. I just took a big grill spatchula and they practically fell apart. Lifted out the flat, cooled it quick to stop the cooking process and left the tips on the cooker.[/quote']

Whut He Sed--I usually gouge and dig and dig at that "Fat Pocket" that separates the two with my trusty Brisket Fat Trimming Knife. Oftentimes until the two are nearly parted before I start the cook. (you can get rub deep into the netherlands that way ;) )

I like to put the point back on so it gets extra bark and extra rendering.

Burnt Ends is Yummy! 8)

dub(any chuck roast makes good pulled beef)

definitely worth doing, splitting and cleaning the brisket. way we used to do back at the restaurant was just using our hands. we had a special kevlar, heat resistant glove that made this possible. first, put on inner latex glove, then kevlar, then another latex over the kevlar.

if you've cooked your brisket long enuf, that fat layer should be the consistancy of jello; dont need a knife. we would pass the gloved hand thru that stuff, flop the point over, and scrape all the junk off the flat with a big scimitar knife. also a big ol vein that needed to be cut out of the center of the flat.

points were piled up in a steam table til the end of the night, when they got their bottoms cleaned (nasty fat and veins), then rolled up like you are doing a chiffonade, sliced, then chopped up for chopped sammiches the next day. and i agree, sliced (unless it is exceptional, which is NICE) is for the suckers. the chopped brisket off the points is the cats meow.

brisket defo IS a mess when done right, which is why i rarely do them anymore. if you favor the point, you'll like chuck roll. it pulls like a butt, but has that chopped brisket flavor.