Krusty K

Shrimp and Grits

Technically another not BBQ, but not really a side. I just did a 24 hour cook which included 5 shoulders (18 hours) and 10 slabs of back ribs (6 hours) and did a triple batch of this. If you think you don't like grits, this is a place to start.

Shrimp and Grits

6 cups water

2 cups grits (not instant!!!)

1 stick butter at least

2 cups heavy cream

Salt to taste – sea salt or kosher salt at least 3 tsp

Pepper to taste – at least 1 tsp (fresh coarse ground black, red, green and white pepper mix is best)

Shrimp mixture

Finely diced green and/or red pepper, at least a cup total

Finely sliced Vidalia onion in half rings

1 stick butter

1 clove finely chopped garlic

About 8†of andoille/Cajun or similar sausage 1/8†slices cut in half

2 lbs shrimp (no larger than 30 per lb size)

Boil the water and add the grits. Stir, stir, stir

Reduce to low simmer and cook until thickened usually about 10 minutes

Add cream, salt, pepper and butter

Increase heat to medium until butter is melted

Reduce to low simmer and cook until thickened and grits are VERY tender usually at least 30 minutes. Stir, stir, stir. If grits stick, do not try to scrap up and reincorporate, leave them on the bottom, if you can’t give them your nearly complete attention pick another recipe.

When grits are about half done start the shrimp mixture.

Saute all the ingredients accept the shrimp until onion is floppy and turning translucent.

When grits are done add shrimp to the vegetable mixture heating only until warm if the shrimp are already cooked, if raw cook until pink. Clean and remove tails of shrimp, if shrimp are frozen rinse and dry. Do not over cook shrimp.

Spread grits in a large serving pan and top with shrimp mixture.

Grits can be done ahead – just add some cream and more butter to revive.

Yeah, I forgot the cheese. The secret is the cream and more cream. Most people and lots of restaurants use just water and maybe some milk in their grits, so its no wonder most people don't (think) they like them. You can make all kinds of modifications depending on what you have and what you like. I also like yellow grits instead of white, but not sure that makes a big difference in taste. You can add lots of cheese, more garlic, skip the shrimp part, put it in a loaf pan and you have polenta. I'm making some tonight to go with enchiladas made from left over pork shoulder.

I especially like the china... :shock::D Was it your turn to do the dishes? :roll:

Man what you talking about? That is the fine china! BTW, the shrimp and grits didn't know the difference; plus it tasted the same.

-=Jasen=-

I know that, but don't we have a food photographer around here, or was that the sound of him throwing himself off a bridge... :smt044