tcoliver

Brunswick stew

The BEST recipes are going to start out:

"Shoot,skin,and clean half a dozen squirrels...":lol:

As long as you have tomatoes,chicken,limabeans and corn

you're good to go!:thumbright:

This particular stew exists primarily for the canning/preserving of your last pre-winter crops and using those stewing hens who wouldn't make it thru the next winter.Think country. REEEAL country. MY source cooks it for Xmas fundraising purposes (the youngest cook on this job is 72!). The veggies are always fresh and the chicken is from the local egg man (googoogajoob).

I guess what I'm tryin to say is-that-the quality of the ingredients are what totally makes this dish-vegs from cans stewed with chix from the store just don't cut it.

That said,my 2nd favorite source makes it with chuck roast for the meat... :smt102

dub(best when cooked in a 100gal cast iron tub over an open fire)

Dude, you totally left out tators! Can't be considered Brunswick stew without them around here. If you live in Brunswick, is it just called stew? :roll:

Tony I have been trying to pry out a recipe from one of my buddies who used to own a small BBQ joint locally. Was the best Brunswick stew I ever had. He used BBQ in it, Mmmm.

-=Jasen=-

Dude' date=' you totally left out tators!-=Jasen=-[/quote']

Busted! :oops:

I had to thaw a bag out for research purposes and I then discovered my omission. I also left out salt and pepper-the only seasonings. I don't know if the hand-made 100-year-old wooden stirring paddle is an absolute requirement or not.

The spuds are definitely the lowest ingredient on the totem pole-just enough to thicken the mix.

Putting BBQ in the stew might well be a good move. The most pitiful and execrable versions of B.S. I've had were from Q joints. I'll pass on tricks that produce stew like that! :lol:

I think the mainmost thing is to use fresh ingredients and most of all- use stewing hens instead of broilers or roasters or friers.

Unswick stew

I think it's UNSwick, not BRUNSwick.

It started life as vegetable soup with very savory broth (chicken based). But it lacked a certain "meatiness." So, I investigated the freezer. A baggie with turkey leg (done on the cooker) from Thanksgiving. In it went. A boneless porkchop. Chopped it, threw it in too. And then I found a tupper of pulled pork! Woo hoo! Not all sauced - just taken off the cooker and pulled. In that went.

So, it has corn, carrots, celery, onions, peas, mushrooms, and leftovers. :)

I'll let you know. :happy8:

:::: time passes::::

It's the next day.

What delicious soup! Whole house smells of smokey goodness, now that the pulled pork has settled into the soup. Mother came by to steal my dog for a walk, and had two bowls! I sent her home with a tupper full of soup (I'd made 8 quarts!!).

I had some for lunch, and it's great! A little sweet - I cannot figure out what's causing the sweet flavor, but it might be the carrots. It was a little sweet before the pork went in. Might be, though, that the pork had some sweet flavor. I cannot remember what the rub was that I used. Certainly, there are no labels on anything in the freezer!

I anticipate throwing in a squirt of chili oil, or maybe some vinegar, to cut that sweet flavor.