Saucier

Here comes the rain

When I have used RO, I can usually get 2/3 to 3/4 of the 10# bag in there. There is no harm in having too much, you just shut it down and save the rest for next time.

Stirring leftover lump with a stick is less work than pouring more in there, anyway :D

This thread shows my standard fill of lump, and I have never run out even on the longest overnight cooks:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1567

I also use RO and have had no problems going 20+ hours with no fills (though I find it is rarely necessary). My fill level is below the heat deflector supports, usually level with the ceramic fire box insert (a little heaping in the center).

BTW, to add to Jairby's tip on temps; not only can you boost it at the end to finish, but you can boost it at the beginning if you like less smoke (honestly I cannot tell that much difference). That is an approach some people use with the Guru's built in ramp mode. The important temps are 140-170 for collagen breakdown. But then again, one of the best parts of slow cooking is the relaxing down time drinking beer! :drinkers:

-=Jasen=-

BTW

By the way, @ 1700 hrs, the internal temp was 195 on the button, gave it the one hour rest in the foil & towels and it was puuuurrrrrrfect.

Everyone was threatening mutiny if they didn't get some to take home! LOL.

It was the best batch yet, used some pecan this time!

So it was an 11 hour cook and 1 hour rest, came out just great!

Re: BTW

By the way, @ 1700 hrs, the internal temp was 195 on the button, gave it the one hour rest in the foil & towels and it was puuuurrrrrrfect.

Everyone was threatening mutiny if they didn't get some to take home! LOL.

It was the best batch yet, used some pecan this time!

So it was an 11 hour cook and 1 hour rest, came out just great!

That must have been some-kinda-good dream, Saucier. Because I dont see any pictures...no pics, it didnt happen :o