DMAX

Is this normal?

After my debacle today of torching several slabs of ribs because I couldnt keep my temps below 500, I noticed a chemical smell in the smoke from the KK. When I looked inside, it appears that on one side of the main compartment, there is a thin layer peeling off of the inner surface.

Please take a look and tell me if this is what I'm seeing, or is this something any of you have seen before?

DMAX

aVARDLS.jpg

PqZMjVi.jpg

aVARXJ0.jpg

Have no fear..

No the white material is there for cosmetic reasons only, it's a simple plaster applied so that you don't buy a cement colored cooker. It is applied by hand and if it's too thick it can comes off in large chips sometimes early sometimes after a few years.. If you see a loose area, feel free to encourage it to fall off. This is not the refractory material and adds nothing to the cooker's durability.

I'm scouring Indonesia and Singapore for a source for black iron oxide to mix in with the refractory material so I won't have to use this plaster.

;);)

Always remember that you control your Komodo's temperature by regulating the volume of oxygen to the charcoal and that you want to muffle it from the top rather than restrict it from the bottom because you want to keep that cloud of humid air in the dome. Low 200º's are only about a 1/4 turn from closed and a 1/8"-1/4" sliver opening on the dial and when your close to your target temp, make mini adjustments.

Another thing is that when you open to peek (a no no) the additional air/oxygen that enters will cause your temps to climb, if your temps were ok before you opened it up,don't do/adjust anything.. It will stabilize back to where it was set. Have faith here.

;);)