Sanny

Heat Diffuser

The kiln shelfs I use a round 15" they will take very high heat. Look the same size that came with my KK. Have used the same 2 since 2001. I Wish that I had saved a couple of the half shelfs where we stopped doing pottery.

Cool, where can I get a couple from? Web link by chance? The 15" round sounds perfect. BTW, how thick are they?

-=Jasen=-

Re: Results!

Well' date=' I am pleased with the results of the latest heat diffuser. Took the usual size Boston butt 10 hours this time.yo4.jpg[/img']

Deej, how much of a savings in time was that? How long does it usually take? And what's your usual temp?

So many questions, but since you're doing all that research, might as well find out. :) I agree with Bob. Nice butt.

I guess it's almost time for me too cook another one. Mother wants an anniversary of her fence party for the guys in the neighborhood who put it up for her last year. She wants pulled pork. And the mail room guys here at work are due for some Q (ribs or butt).

Spring has sprung - time to Q outdoors. :)

We use kiln shelf in the glass shop for laying up cane. It is very resistant to thermal shock (goes in and out of the 2700 degree glory hole a lot, but is fragile if dropped. When it breaks, it doesn't shatter in to little pieces, but breaks a large chunk off. The stress concentration of drilling might make that worse, but you'll never know until you try.

The material its made from seems similar to what Dennis uses for the heat deflector, so it certainly seems worth a shot!

As I make it, this butt took about half the regular time, right? That would be worth pursuing.

Mike

Thx! Taste Great Too!

As I make it, this butt took about half the regular time, right? That would be worth pursuing.

Mike

Deej, how much of a savings in time was that? How long does it usually take? And what's your usual temp?

Trying to answer both questions a once here. My normal temps are 235-240 (might bump it up to 245-250 next time). On average, Boston butts take around 12 hours. This was about 2 hours saved (not quite 20%). Not trying to make a super fast cook method here, but if you remember from all my earlier posts on the subject, trying to emulate pit cooking. However, pit cooking is a faster method since it is direct. So I have been trying to find a balance in the KK that does not burn or dry out the meat (direct low and slow tends to do that since it is so efficient), yet yields similar results. I think this did so nicely. Flavorful meat, mild smoke, great texture.

Wish I could add a few more holes in the deflector, but think this is close to the maximum for drilled. Maybe if they were cast in there could be more.

-=Jasen=-

wow! Your times are a lot shorter than mine. I've been doing butts (in pairs) at about 225' date=' and they take about 20 hours to come up to 190 internal. (which is where I came up with the half time comment).[/quote']

Wow, 20 hours. Try boosting your temps to at least 235. I cook the butts to 190 internal also. I think you would like using my diffuser.

One other thing, the meat should take the close to the same amount of time to cook. But getting the grill up to temps with the larger mass and anytime there is a recover (opening the lid) will take longer. Also how cold the meat is when you start will affect times. I usually set mine out of the fridge while getting everything together. Some people stick theirs in the freezer while getting things ready (trying to get additional smoke, but adds more cook time).

-=Jasen=-