DMAX

Kooker Volume Question

I'm trying to organize the variations of how the KK works and what impact various factors folks here include in their hints have on the end results. One item I searched for and didn't see any discussions about is the dome volume and its relation to the amount of food being cooked.

Similar to how my cigar humidor stays much more stable when it is full (holds about 200 cigars), I'm curious if anyone has observed any discernible differences in the performance of the KK when cooking say one rack of ribs versus ten. I would assume that the volume of moisture in the dome would be distinctly different with larger quantities of meat, thus impacting the function of heat.

I guess I am over analyzing this, but there should be an algorithm to relate the mass of the food being cooked to the optimal temperature with the objective of retaining maximum moisture in the food.

DMAX

Re: Kooker Volume Question

I guess I am over analyzing this, but there should be an algorithm to relate the mass of the food being cooked to the optimal temperature with the objective of retaining maximum moisture in the food.

DMAX

If all other factors are the same on the meat (volume, weight, density), then the only difference between 1 rack of ribs verses 10 should be the time it takes the KK to achieve thermal equilibrium due to the increase in cold load. But once it happens, the ribs should cook at about the same rate as they did before. Naturally some ribs will cook at a slightly different rate due to placement in the cooker too. But the overall effect would be some increase in cook time. That effect would be amplified given larger cuts of meat too. But my guess here (I have never filled up the KK), is that the time increase is not too large because of the greater mass of the KK walls. I bet with ribs, unless you really did a strict time/weight comparison, it is probably hardly even noticeable.

Should add that being it takes longer to achieve thermal equilibrium, it also takes longer to offset it too. So larger volumes of meat help with temperature fluctuations. That is why a lot of people use sand/water/foil in water pans in metal cookers (not needed in a kk).

Not sure if moisture would play a huge role in heat scenario here either. Low air flow holds in the moisture already. Would there be a difference in one glass of water in an oven verses 10 (saturation occurring with the first glass)? In a humidor, the benefit from being full is due to reducing the volume of air inside, right?

So, who has cooked 10 racks of ribs at once here? Or 6-8 Boston Butts? Max I have cooked was two really big shoulders. I did not notice much of an increase verses one.

-=Jasen=-

I agree that the thermal mass equation differences are probably moot, but I'm still thinking that along the lines of the humidor comparison, that if there is one rack of ribs that has released sufficient moisture to reach saturation of grains of moisture at the given temperature of the air inside the dome, then multiple racks would reach that saturation point faster, therfore keeping each individual rack's amount of retained moisture higher. As energy (concentration of moisture being one) always reaches equilibrium with the area of higher concentration giving to the area of lower concentration until they are the same, the amount of moisture needed to be released from ten racks of ribs would cumulatively be the same but individually be lower as the area inside the dome is a constant.

So in theory, more meat in the kooker should equate to less individual moisture loss than less meat in the same volume and at the same temperature.

Right?

I agree that the thermal mass equation differences are probably moot, but I'm still thinking that along the lines of the humidor comparison, that if there is one rack of ribs that has released sufficient moisture to reach saturation of grains of moisture at the given temperature of the air inside the dome, then multiple racks would reach that saturation point faster, therfore keeping each individual rack's amount of retained moisture higher. As energy (concentration of moisture being one) always reaches equilibrium with the area of higher concentration giving to the area of lower concentration until they are the same, the amount of moisture needed to be released from ten racks of ribs would cumulatively be the same but individually be lower as the area inside the dome is a constant.

So in theory, more meat in the kooker should equate to less individual moisture loss than less meat in the same volume and at the same temperature.

Right?

Sounds reasonable, but if one rack of ribs already comes off the cooker moist and juicy, is it really noticeable that 10 are even more moist? FYI, while I believe moisture in the air is positive for foods, have never subscribed to the theory that it keeps food moist inside. My believe is if the moisture is not in the food from the beginning (fat marble in steak or collagen in pork butt), it is not getting in there from the air. Also not sure how much these factor into the cooker humidity.

Maybe one thought to your equation, could be that moisture helps with cooking efficiency since it helps conduct thermal energy. But I still would not know if there is any effect on larger volumes of food or not.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has cooked large volumes along with small volumes and what differences they noted.

-=Jasen=-

Agreed, but I think where I am going is to determine whether 6 hours on the Kooker for ribs is good for multiple racks of ribs, but perhaps it would take significantly less for say one. But at the end of the kook, if their good then so be it.. just a compunction to figure stuff out I guess!

DMAX

Agreed, but I think where I am going is to determine whether 6 hours on the Kooker for ribs is good for multiple racks of ribs, but perhaps it would take significantly less for say one. But at the end of the kook, if their good then so be it.. just a compunction to figure stuff out I guess!

DMAX

Experimentation is great on the kk and is the best teacher! You rarely learn an inedible lesson. BTW, one full rack of St Louis Style trimmed spare ribs takes me 5-6 hours indirect. Make sure you take plenty pics of your experiments so we know your not just imagining!

-=Jasen=-

When I cook on my cooker, I pic. :) And I change my avatar regularly.

But, with just one person at home, and a small freezer, I don't have occasion to do large cooks too often. And it's too miserably cold (and snow and ice today) to fire the whole thing up for just a burger or fish fillet for one person.

My loss, more than yours! :smt061:grommit::fluffy::fluffy:

When I cook on my cooker, I pic. :) And I change my avatar regularly.

But, with just one person at home, and a small freezer, I don't have occasion to do large cooks too often. And it's too miserably cold (and snow and ice today) to fire the whole thing up for just a burger or fish fillet for one person.

My loss, more than yours! :smt061:grommit::fluffy::fluffy:

Maybe you can get one of those new mini-me kookers that Dennis has in the pipeline! Besides, one person, one furball and two bunnies makes a family of four, plenty to kook for!

DMAX