Majestik

Sugar Bombs?

I don't know what to call these? "Sugar Bombs" seems very appropriate. :twisted:

I took Gerard's tip and whipped up something for a test run.

I got some dates, ricotta cheese, bacon and pepper together. The dates were pitted, which was helpful. Put the ricotta into a cake decorator and injected it into the pit-holes of the dates. Wrapped in bacon (I guess anything can be wrapped in bacon, huh?). Pinned with a toothpick and coated heavily with black pepper. Veddy Simple Veddy Easy.

I cooked mine at 350F kind-of-directly. My mom's K doesn't have a shelf, so I didn't have a delfector/drip pan or anything, so I put them around the lip to keep them from scorching. After 50 minutes, some had scorched anyway.... so I would definitely keep the indirect... but I do like the higher temp-faster cook for these things. (We did another round of ABTs tonight at the same time and they were outstanding.)

Result? These are better than the pickled watermelon rinds, Gerard. By far, in my opinion. Delicious! They were delectable little rolls of bacon with a wonderful sugar blast. Like candy. The pepper...? Yeah, I kinda liked the pepper coating... though I might go for a good sprinkling instead of a thick coating next time. It gave a nice contrasting burn to the sweet creamy middle. The ricotta cheese? Pretty much useless.... or rather, what I've decided is that cream cheese would be the much wiser choice. The ricotta adds little to treat, while I think cream cheese may give it even more of a "candy" feel.

The dates I got were kinda small and just a generic packaged brand. Next time I'll get the monster bigger-than-your-thumb type of fresh dates. And I will slice them open, take out the pit, and slide a nice thick wedge of cream cheese in there... bind it all together with the bacon and season with pepper.

Those will be the bomb. I hope you try 'em and like 'em, Gerard.

--Mike :P