johnnyboy

Does Extruded have a shelf life?

I've noticed a few posts by folks stating they don't need a full pallet. Okay, a full pallet is allot for one person, I understand.

I'm just curious if there's a shelf life; I have extruded from 2003 still.

I suggest not purchasing too much unless you know you're going to like it.

My first two years in ceramic cooking extruded coconut was all we knew and used; I initially purchased 320 lbs of it, just from all the posts I read on how good it was and how difficult to get.

Unfortunately, Wife was never excited about it; always noticed a taste she didn't care for. But we thought maybe the taste was old grease in the cooker. Used it anyway, and every time she was less and less excited about the cooker. Just not happy with results. Then I re-stocked and got the moldy stuff (RJ said it was okay to burn); now we both notice a unsatisfactory flavor, terrible. She said that's what I've been trying to tell you, yea, yea, yea...... (I'm hard headed wondering what's wrong with us, everyone else loves it!) On the other forum extruded coconut was held in the highest of regards. To the point hardwood lump was rarely referenced.

So, on one of our trips to the grocery store I just happened to notice bags of hardwood lump. Thought what the heck, so picked one up to try.

My point is to make sure to try other charcoals as well before you stock tons of one like I did.

I'd say as long as you keep it dry, it doesn't really have a shelf life worth worrying about. I also have some of the 2003 quality E.C. from the Philippines, and it is just fine.

As for the flavor, despite the claims of KAmodo, E.C. does indeed impart a fairly significant flavor to the food. The quality 2003 Philippine E.C. did and the vastly inferior briquettes they sold from Thailand and Indonesia did also. Personally, I like the flavor, but like you say, you need to try something before you buy a lifetime supply. If I were going to use E.C. it would be only for overnighters, and I have to wonder, though, if you could detect the flavor from the E.C. underneath the wood smoke and the rub. I have a pork butt in the freezer awaiting delivery of some KOmodo Sustainable charcoal. I'm looking forward to reviewing this new charcoal.

Re: Does Extruded have a shelf life?

I've noticed a few posts by folks stating they don't need a full pallet. Okay, a full pallet is allot for one person, I understand.

I'm just curious if there's a shelf life; I have extruded from 2003 still.

I suggest not purchasing too much unless you know you're going to like it.

My first two years in ceramic cooking extruded coconut was all we knew and used; I initially purchased 320 lbs of it, just from all the posts I read on how good it was and how difficult to get.

Unfortunately, Wife was never excited about it; always noticed a taste she didn't care for. But we thought maybe the taste was old grease in the cooker. Used it anyway, and every time she was less and less excited about the cooker. Just not happy with results. Then I re-stocked and got the moldy stuff (RJ said it was okay to burn); now we both notice a unsatisfactory flavor, terrible. She said that's what I've been trying to tell you, yea, yea, yea...... (I'm hard headed wondering what's wrong with us, everyone else loves it!) On the other forum extruded coconut was held in the highest of regards. To the point hardwood lump was rarely referenced.

So, on one of our trips to the grocery store I just happened to notice bags of hardwood lump. Thought what the heck, so picked one up to try.

My point is to make sure to try other charcoals as well before you stock tons of one like I did.

I'm surprised to hear that someone was put off by coconut charcoals taste/profile because while it does impart a flavor, it is what I'd call extremely neutral. Here in Asia the street sate vendors use coconut shells because if the intense infrared heat they give off and sweet profile. I'd say you would only be able taste it without rub and only on fish and chicken.

Did your wife ever taste the rubs you were using alone? Maybe it was something else she did not care for and was blaming the charcoal on. When I did my burn tests for ash content, the smell in the house was so nice, sweet and subtle, I'd almost be tempted to use it as incense.

For everyday cooks I'd stick with standard lump charcoal.. but for times when you want control of your smoke profile or want to have almost no smoke profile as with bread, pizza and some fish, the coco makes sense. Nobody wants mesquite flavored sour dough bread.

Also if you wanted to smoke with a wood or material that has delicate/light smoke profile, the lump's flavor/profile might over dominate your target flavors. This would be very common with the stronger flavored charcoals like mesquite for example. If you use the coco as your charcoal you could then use any material that smokes to impart flavor on your meat.. I've even heard of people using garlic and basil for smoke. (no stems and seeds that you don't need;-)

Another great feature of the extruded coconut is the consistency in which it burns which makes it great for low and slow cooks.. it's very much set and forget.

I just found a shipper that is offering better rates for mixed cooker and charcoal shipments, so I will start sending different charcoals that can be bundled with the coconut so one can get a mixed palette at a greatly reduced price. I also have some ideas for charcoals that will be cutting edge and completely different from what's available.. and of course KOmodo quality

:lol::lol:

Dennis Link wrote:

Did your wife ever taste the rubs you were using alone? Maybe it was something else she did not care for and was blaming the charcoal on. When I did my burn tests for ash content, the smell in the house was so nice, sweet and subtle, I'd almost be tempted to use it as incense.

She in fact became the only one rubbing at all, because that's what she thought, it was something I was putting on. She does better than I do at seasoning anyway.

I've edited this post. It's beginning to sound like I'm bashing extruded. I want to be clear. No way; it's great stuff for all the reasons everyone states, does burn long, hot, etc.

The only reason I want to inform folks of anything is because if you take the plunge like I did (more weight better price per pound to ship); you could end up with hundreds of pounds of a flavor you or your spouse don't care for.