LarryR

Rib Placement

I searched but could only find one reference to this question, please forgive if I missed this topic someplace.

Doing first ribs (spares) in my ceramic today and I'm wondering about rib placement, main grate or top grate? My setup will be 14" clay saucer over my fire, 16" pizza pan placed on top of the saucer then the main grate on. My concern is radiant heat coming off of the pizza pan if using the main grate. Any worries here?

Thanks in advance for your input on this and any other first time ceramic rib tips you might have for me. Oh, almost forgot, I'm going to do Amusement Park Turkey Legs too. Posting that recipe got me craving them. Local store had some very nice, fresh and large legs.

PICTURES

OK, just fired-up my lit, I'm going to go main grate @ 225. I'm using pecan and cherry wood. Pictures to come . . .

Update: I'm using a rib rack on the main grate. First low and slow on her, chasing temps a bit trying to dial her in at 225 grate. I'm about 50 minutes in, how long should it take for her to settle in?

Update 2: Temps finally settled in around 1:15 into the cook, 223 - 226 grate. I added the turkey legs around 2:30 mark, took pictures closed her up and now I cannot get her under 238. Another thing that's bothering me just a little bit is my dome temp is 305. I go by grate vs. dome but it does have me a bit concerned. I have the draft door open just a sliver and the top damper is open maybe 1/16 of a turn. I'd prefer to be around 225 grate, any suggestions or just roll with it. Ribs looked very good.

Update: 4 hours in I'm at 260 grate and cannot get the temp to drop. Any suggestions?

Update: Pictures updated. Very full tummy :D Damn that was a great meal. Had a tough time keeping the temp down. At the end of my cook she was sitting at 275 grate and I couldn't get her to come down. Shortened my cooking time to 5:30 vs. the 7 I usually go. They were done perfect for me, gentle tug and meat came off the bone. Very moist, great flavor.

In summary I'm thinking the Rancher Charcoal I used may burn a little too hot for a ceramic (Whiz said it burned hot) vs. the WSM I used it in. End product was very moist, not sure if they were more moist than what I've done prior, but they were quite moist. Turkey legs were amazing, such great flavor in those babies and they were definitely more moist on the grill or my WSM.

Any suggestions on keeping temp down or would most agree it's the fuel?

To reduce your cooking temps, reduce the airflow.

I want to make clear that this cook was done on a Richard Johnson KAMADO NOT a Komodo Kamado but the principals of ceramic cooking apply to all cookers.

Update: I'm using a rib rack on the main grate. First low and slow on her, chasing temps a bit trying to dial her in at 225 grate. I'm about 50 minutes in, how long should it take for her to settle in?

The walls of your cooker have already been heat soaked and are giving off heat at 50 minutes

Update 2: Temps finally settled in around 1:15 into the cook, 223 - 226 grate. I added the turkey legs around 2:30 mark, took pictures closed her up and now I cannot get her under 238. Another thing that's bothering me just a little bit is my dome temp is 305. I go by grate vs. dome but it does have me a bit concerned. I have the draft door open just a sliver and the top damper is open maybe 1/16 of a turn. I'd prefer to be around 225 grate, any suggestions or just roll with it. Ribs looked very good.

Update: 4 hours in I'm at 260 grate and cannot get the temp to drop. Any suggestions?

The temperature of your cooker is in direct relation to the available oxygen/airflow. If you want to reduce your cooking temps, reduce the airflow. It's that simple.

At the end of my cook she was sitting at 275 grate and I couldn't get her to come down.

In summary I'm thinking the Rancher Charcoal I used may burn a little too hot for a ceramic (Whiz said it burned hot) vs. the WSM I used it in.

Any suggestions on keeping temp down or would most agree it's the fuel?

Absolutely not the charcoal.. the intensity of the burn is determined by the fuel / airflow mix.

Even rocket fuel needs oxygen to burn.

Cut the oxygen mixture, the rocket fuel will stop burning.

When the Whiz said it burned hot, this means that with lots of airflow it will hit/climb to high temps easily.

The problem is either your damper top is too open (or does not properly seal), your main gasket and dome top leak or your lower draft door needs to be closed more (or does not properly seal).

I promise if you cut off the oxygen regardless of what your burning or how much you have lit, your temps will drop. I've read some KAMADO users have been forced to tape up their cookers to stop them from leaking.

Then again you could always trade up, get a Komodo Kamado and make your life and controlling cooking temps very easy!