primeats

Chili contest

Looking to the forum for help. We are going to host a chili cook-off, never done this before, NBC5 Chicago will be helping us promote it , I could use some help in coming up with "my own recipe" to demo on the air...with full credit given to the creator. It's gonna take place the Sunday before the Super Bowl. I am petitioning corporate sponsors as well to help with the prizes and any proceeds going to charity(probably my local Rotary Club -Wilmette Harbor) My hope is in the future to raise enough to give away a very nice custom made BBQ/smoker;). Until then we will have to settle for some "other " backyard cooking appliance and probably a Super Bowl Meat basket or gift certificates at a local gourmet meat purveyor. PM's would be great! I have no idea yet what the entry fee would be, if there is going to be one, but it would be open to all in the Chicago viewing area--local,not cable!

Chili??

Here is my chili story though it won't help you any. Well maybe what not to do. Many years ago, shortly after we were married, my new bride made chili for dinner. It was very bland and I do mean very. But being the nice husband (and having learned my lesson after the gravy incident :wall: ) I ate it and said nothing. A few days later while rummaging in the pantry I found a rolled up bag of McCormick Chili mix with a rubber band around it. I asked the wife what it was. She said it was left over from the other night. I asked why she didn't use all of it. Because that was the way Mom did it. Well needless to say that weekend we went shopping and bought a cookbook and stocked up the spice rack. Now her chili is much better though still a compromise between what I would prefer, and what everyone else likes.

Chasing links, here's Glenn's full blown treatment:

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/3/33231.html?1162143829

(I'm the gumbo recipe he links to, "great article about stock". My off-brand ceramic cooker needs a repair, so tonight's chicken went into a chicken pot pie, lard crust from SF Farmers Market lard, home-ground flour. Made a double stock from stock and the new bird. The stock makes the dish.)