jdbower

Why nature (or at least Costco) packages chickens in twos

So I recently had a failure as described here. Well tonight I managed to turn things around. I even tightened the rear spring :) Not sure what was up with the rotisserie last time, I installed it in the light and it worked just fine without any fuss - probably just didn't align the driveshaft in the dark. I tightened the rotisserie basket enough, was able to brine the chicken in a salt/sugar mixture, and even made LarryR's Roadside Chicken recipe (with the exception of necessity forcing a bold change to balsamic vinegar). The results? The wife says it was much better than the last chicken (which I thought was the best I'd had) and even juicier than before!

rotisserieroadsidesmalllf3.jpg

I overcooked slightly because you can't use a temp probe with the rotisserie - I spot checked with the Thermapen and got to 185. I used some apple wood smoke and I even stole the idea of using an old shaker bottle (in my case an empty soy sauce bottle). Of course, turning the chicken wasn't necessary for me :) One thing I did notice is that when you're constantly opening the lid and all the Stoker can do is blow frigid air into the cooker it does take a while to get back to 350F!

I'm not sure about the rotisserie thing. I believe it was the brine and constant basting with LarryR's sauce that made things juicier and there are some downsides to the rotisserie. The basket needs to be cleaned, you can't use a meat temperature probe, you need an extra power outlet, etc. I'll try next time without the rotisserie and compare the results.

Whether or not the rotisserie helped, dinner was delicious!

Jeff - great title to your post! (funny)

The picture was a no-show earlier this evening when I looked at this post but it is here now. Safe to say that you cooked that bird direct Jeff? ;)

I do need to break out my rotis and will probably do so early next week. The wife is going out of town this week so I'll wait for her to get back for the Rotis debut! :lol: Just going to have to suffer through Ribs and Steaks with the kids this weekend and serve her up a nice plump and juicy yard bird next week! My guess is that Rotissing is going to be a learned skill using the clock and the weight of the meat to approximate the end of the cook. From there it is back to good 'ol peeking and putting in the Thermapen. (Thermapen... yup, still need to get one of those!)

Yep, direct to try (successfully, I might add) for a nice caramelized crust of special sauce. Thermapens are great - especially when trying to measure a rotating bird. I'm also very proud of only needing to use it twice, once read 160 and the second jumped to 185 in a surprisingly short period of time.

Rotisserie

I used mine a bunch and have never had any problems. I move the lump around to allow a small weber AL pan to sit in the middle below the rotisserie.

I place my bird breast down in the holder and use the tools(came with KK) to tighten the EZ-Que holders very tight with pressure on the holder to really hold the bird. I light the lump with torch that surrounds the drip pan which rests on the lump holder without any lump under it. I then place the basket in the KK sockets. I like to use dry rub that has no sugar in it on the birds. All BBQ liquids have sugar in it which will get very dark or black over the cooking time. I have placed some apple pieces inside the breast. I then set the bottom draft door open a small amount with the top open 1/3 turn. I like to cook the first hour at lower temps 275* then when 1 hour gone by I open lid. stop the rotation with breast up and take temp of thighs. Then I open draft door a little more and top hat to get to 350* on the KK Thermometer.

After 30 minutes check thigh temp again. When it gets to 175-180 I take the bird off and the breasts have shown temps of 180* but they are always very moist and tender.