robby

Need quick tip about the next day

Well, you better start today. The pork should take 12-16 hours. When it's done, foil it and wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler. No way it's going to go bad between the time it's done and the time you eat it tomorrow! When you're ready to eat, take it out and eat it. I don't buy the theory that as soon as the temps falls below 140, your food is in the "danger zone". When you cook it up to 180 or whatever, you have killed nearly 100% of any bugs. If you then pull it right out of the cooker with clean hands or implements and foil it, it's not going to get contaminated. Personally, when I cook meats and pull them off the grill and foil them, I don't care if they go down to room temp in that foil. Once I open the foil, however, from that point on the meat goes straight to the fridge after I remove the portion I'm using.

I'm not a food safety scientist, just a guy who tries to analyze things scientifically. When I'm checking raw meat, I touch it and smell it. If it has the least bit of slick feel, or does not smell right, I pitch it. Cooked meat that's been in the fridge I take a different approach to. I think the texture and flavor will go off long before the bacteria or mold count gets too high. If I don't eat it within a week, I've got four coonhounds who will!

http://gallery.me.com/mpguerra/100095

"When you cook it up to 180 or whatever, you have killed nearly 100% of any bugs."

Nearly 100% of any bugs??? Where you buyin' your meats?!?!?!!!!! :eek::lol:

Only the botulin toxins are killed, not the actual spores. If the meat has any botulism spores, they will multiply exponentially at around 100 degrees, if the meat gets this cool, I would suggest reheating to 140. If the meat gets below 140 for only a few hours, you should be ok. I'm not a doctor,just a butcher...my malpractice insurance is cheaper!

research

Regarding botulism, I found the following. As a food borne illness it is associated mainly with home canned foods. I found no reports of botulism from barbecued meats. There are about twenty cases/year of food borne botulism in the U.S. 65% of botulism is infant botulism and 15% is wound infection. These two categories are considered separate from food borne. Here is a link to one nice summary report:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/DFBMD/disease ... sm_gi.html