jdbower

Vinegar or Molasses?

When it comes to BBQ, which one is king in your book? Both the Eastern vinegar-based BBQs and the thicker tomato-based sweeter sauces are tasty in their own way, but I've got to lean towards a nice vinegar sauce on some pulled meat as my favorite (at least this week!). However I can also appreciate a thicker sauce on chicken or in some beans. While on a conference call with some fine people from Kansas City a while ago the subject of BBQ came up and I was rather dismayed at how polarized they were against vinegar-based sauces. Is this a sacred thing in the heart of BBQ country or were these people an anomaly and most like all things cooked low and slow regardless of the sauce consistency?

I do wonder about one thing; most of the thicker sauces have a distinct flavor of molasses, but what do they do with the rest of the mole? :D

I voted for no preference, but really, i DO have a preference. I like vinegar on pulled meat, and I like the sweet sticky sauces or ribs, chicken and the like. Of course those prefernces change with the seasons.

Lately, I have been mixing Blues Hog Tennessee Red (spicy vinegar) with the sweet Blues hog for my pulled pork. The best of both :D

What the pimp monkey said!

I'll only add - I very much enjoy a Tennessee dry rubbed rib too! No sauce at all! Check out BBQ across this great land - there are a lot of different nuances that reflect the area of the country that you are eating. However, none of these great places consider dogs and burgers BBQ! :lol:

The Clam has spoken, and I have to agree with him. But for every rule there is an exception. I have been known to make exceptions more and more as of late. I love the Carolina's style sauces for pulled pork, Tabasco or similar sauces on my burgers(and eggs, and soups, etc.). Midwest tomato and sugar based sauces for chicken, and ribs sometimes. Nothing on my steaks unless it's sage saute'd in butter with a little crumbled blue cheese.

I have always been befuddled by people who slather BBQ sauce all over anything that comes off the grill...burgers, steaks, probably chops, too. I saw it all the time in Missouri, couldnt decide if it was a midwest thing or just a country boy thing?

No way I put any sauce - unless its a pan-sauce - on a grilled steak!

I'm most surprised by the number of people who don't seem to use sauce at all - they've got the most votes. Vinegar on pulled meats and molasses on chicken and ribs I think we agree on (I had forgotten about ribs, but a nice dry rub is also pretty good - especially when eating in public without a raincoat :)).

Steak poses an interesting question. I've used balsamic marinades which turned out very well, but that doesn't count as a sauce. For a tender steak (barring au jus on a prime rib) I don't like any sauces at all, but Legal Seafood has a horseradish butter that they use on their fillet mignon that I may try to make sometime.

For the steaks with a more firm texture sometimes I do like pushing them up to a more medium doneness and using some steak sauce. These cuts are also good with a rub for a little extra flavor, but now I'm wondering if the proper molasses BBQ sauce caramelized on them during the cook would also complement them for a change of pace. Of course these are usually the cuts that I buy on sale so they frequently need a little help over a nice premium cut.

sauce

Basically, I use no sauces on my meat at all, just marinades or dry rubs. This in my vast experience of 6 weeks of KK cooking! But... if you are like me and cooking way more meat than you can eat, because of "unbridled enthusiasm" (remember Billy Mumphrey?), then you might do this: put a little something like Sweet Baby Ray's on pulled pork that has been in the fridge a while. It moistens it a little, and does not seem to cover or hide the taste of the meat at all. Same for any other meat you made too much of. Enjoy it au natural off the grill, maybe sauce it a bit after some fridge time.

reheat

Hmm... steam it, eh? OK; I'll do it tonight. Sounds excellent. As far as unbridled enthusiasm, do some of ya'll find you are asking people to cook for them just so you can play with your toy? It's gotten to the point I'm asking folks to bring me briskets and pork butts to cook for them. I guess it's a newbie thing, sigh. Probably wear off after a while.