Loquitur

Can't Wait!!!

I just bought a 23†metallic bronze/autumn nebula tweed KK which will be loaded on the boat next week. Needless to say, I’m giddy with anticipation. I’ve been pouring over the forum posts for the past couple of weeks and have learned tons but I know I’m going to be a pest here because I’m not mechanically inclined and have never cooked with charcoal. But I’m ready to give it my all. I love the idea that I can keep the temp down for low and slow pork and other meats and fire it up hot for pizza, bread and tandoori goodies and do everything else in between.

I live in Millbrook, New York, a lovely village in central Dutchess County, with my husband and four cats, and, if I do say so myself, I am a terrific cook. For the past seven years I’ve been using a Vidalia grill, which I like alot, especially now that I have a permanent gas line hooked up for it, but it has its limitations. I’ll be keeping it as a side burner and for storage.

I have questions about getting the KK to its final destination on my property so I’ll move over to the 411 forum.

Susan

Congrats! If you're new to charcoal, I'd recommend pretty much any sort of charcoal sporting the words "natural lump" - Cowboy is available in many Lowes in the area and apparently Royal Oak in some Walmarts (but I've had trouble finding it in NJ and MA). You may also want to consider a BBQ Guru or Stoker (probably the Guru unless you like techie toys - the Guru has a nicer out-of-the-box user interface while I like the Stoker better once you hook it to your home network), these devices can really take a lot of the guess work out of charcoal basics if you've never had to regulate the airflow to get the temperature you want.

Enjoy!

Congrats! If you're new to charcoal' date=' I'd recommend pretty much any sort of charcoal sporting the words "natural lump" - [/size']

I tried charcoal once since a feature of my Vidalia grill was that you could use gas or charcoal. I bought an expensive bag of lump charcoal and a chimney starter and, not knowing anything about the chemistry of combustion, filled the chimney to the top, lit it and waited a half hour or so for it to all turn gray. Needless to say, by the time I poured the lump into the grill, it had almost disappeared and there wasn't enough heat to cook my steaks!! That pretty much confirmed my "charcoal is a PITA" attitude.

You may also want to consider a BBQ Guru or Stoker

Thanks to all the info on this forum, I ordered a Stoker. I chose it over the Guru because its a short wire run from the KK through a window to a switch for my home network and wireless from there to my notebook already in place. I hope its not too hard to use.

I'm very excited about this project and really appreciate your warm welcome.

Susan

That pretty much shatters the stereotypes around here

My thoughts exactly, I think we're going to like her!

You may want to download StokerLog 5 - it's a fantastic front end for the Stoker. But even without it the Stoker's not that hard to use - either through the device itself or the simple web interface. And we're always here if you've got any questions. ;)

It's here!!!

My KK arrived on Friday in fine shape - what a relief!! I had been in touch with Hitman about his damage and its cause since our KK's were on the same ship and likely on the same truck for part of the way at least. I thank my lucky stars that I was spared. Getting it unpacked and in place was a cinch. I have some pics that I'll post when I figure out how to do it.

Susan

Posting pics is a snap --- literally just a click away.

First, you need to have your photo on your computer somewhere, probably in My Pictures.

Then just click on the link right under the message body, entitled "Add image to post"

Browse for your photo and select it, mark it as FAMILY safe, select the size suitable for message boards, then click UPLOAD IT. Done!