cruzmisl

Can pulled pork be "low fat"?

Yeah don't laugh, I'm serious.

Pork shoulder is a very fatty hunk of critter but when I am watching my fat intake I need something besides chicken which got me thinking. When I do my shoulders they are on the heat for 12hrs or so. I hand pull them discarding as much of the sinew and fat as I can. I usually only end up with nice hunks of meat with no fat mixed in. Anyone know what the fat percentage would be for pulled pork? Surely once you throw it on a bun with some BBQ sauce all bets are off but is it reasonably lean enough to eat plain and still maintain a low fat diet?

Joe

I've used a pork loin which is much less fatty but it's a very different texture than the shoulder I've done (I happen to like it a bit better). Sticking with a vinegar based sauce you should still be in the low fat category, but then you should still watch your carbs (go bunless? cut down the sugar?).

Of course, the more fat you remove during the pulling process the better. I tend to trim out a lot during that time as well.

Interesting product! I don't see why it couldn't be used, assuming it has the texture of Crisco you may be better off smearing some on the top before the cook and then mixing a bit more in after you pull it but when the meat's still hot enough to melt it. Personally I tend to like less fatty textures to my meat so I don't think it's something I'd try, but it could help turn pork loin into something a bit closer to a shoulder for some.

Hey Joe -

How about moving past the pulled pork (although I do agree that a loin may be your answer) and getting on the Chuck Roll? I did a 14 pound chuck roll from Costco for my nephews graduation party. It was a big hit and we removed virtually no fat from the chuck roll when we pulled it for sandwiches.

Just a thought!

Wayne