danioro

EZQ Rotisserie

Something about a spinning hunk of beast next to coals that gets my primitive juices flowing. Its the pinnacle of backyard cooking. Kind of like a Cirque du Soleil for carnivores and it brings me back to my childhood.

Anyway, I find chickens and roasts (either pork or beef) do really well on the roti. They cook evenly and develop an astounding crust (or crispy skin) if done right. If done wrong, your meat falls out of the basket onto the hot coals (just ask my Mom. I still laugh at that and she gets p!ssed every time I bring it up) :D

Polarity question

I knew the answer to this but decided to try it anyway.

I reversed the wite and black wires to the motor.....

Motor still rotates counter-clockwise. Makes sense because the current is A/C and so polarity is alternting at 60 Hz. worth a try anyway.

I swear I had a rotisserie 20 some years ago with a forward/backward switch. Come to think of it, an A/C drill can go forward or backward, although I think that this is a gearing function and not a motor function.

Guess I'll just torque that baby down as suggested, although I still maintain it would make more sense for the counter-clockwise rotation to naturally tighten the shaft instead of loosening it......

I am just a gas passer, not an engineer but... :P

Re: Polarity question

I reversed the wite and black wires to the motor.....

Been there, recently, a friend had an expensive coffee grinder with the timer dial thingy on the fritz, grinder worked fine. Turned out not to be mechanical, there was a friggin' twenty component electrical circuit behind the dial, that had failed. It became a classic case of the bomb squad "which wire to cut" dilemma. 'Cept, being A/C, twice as many ways to get it right. Put a hardware store screw-on switch on the cord, took out and bypassed the circuit, and they're back in business for another decade.

Of course, one wire really is ground, safer to have the switch shut off the live wire as soon as possible, rather than always having live current running through the motor where it could find another ground. (Just because A/C keeps changing sides on itself doesn't mean one wire isn't doing all the moving.) So perhaps you should put things back how you found them.

Do you even need a roti for a KK?

What are you guys doing with a roti that doesn't work without it?

I agree that the roti is less important with a KK than a regular grill which has a more direct heat source. However the roti does render the roast self-basting, hence juicier and more succulent.

Don't you just love the word "succulent"? ;)

My roti cook:

Amish pasteured chickens, brined 1hr, Herbes de Provence butter to cavity and under skin (made my own, recipe on demand)

Freshly dug Yukon Golds 3" diam, quartered and parboiled 5 minutes, placed in the drip pan under the chickies

About an hour later at 450F , birds were 155F, golden, crisp skin, Juicy and spuds were BEAUTIFULLY roasted and basted in the juices from the birds. DIVINE!!!! Probably not the healthiest but the French dig it, so I just drank red wine (Terra Blanca Merlot from Red Mountain, WA State, a FABU wine!)

I slept well!