seanwiley

Looking for a Thanksgiving Ham recipe

Couple families gtting together this year and since the hostess is already cooking a turkey, I though I would bring a ham.

This "Double smoked ham and injection" recipe looks good. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp ... 3850093152

Any other suggestions? Hams seem noticeably absent from the forum, perhaps because they don't seem to be a challenge? Anyway.... if no one else has something intriquing, then I'll fire up the one from above next week.

Simple Ham Honey Baked

1 * fully cooked ham

1 c sugar

1/4 t ground cinnamon

1/4 t ground nutmeg

1/4 t ground clove

1/8 t paprika

dash ground ginger

dash ground allspice

Preheat grill to 325.

Place cut side of ham down on grill.

Heat to internal 160.

Mix remaining ingredients and spread on wax paper. Remove ham from grill and roll in mixture.

Then, use blow torch w/medium flame to caramelize sugar. Wave torch over sugar w/rapid movement so that sugar bubbles and browns but doesn't burn.

Repeat several times until ham is well-glazed.

Serve.

Not my recipe

Ham recipie

This is how my wife and I prepare ham.

small chunk of apple wood.

One fully cooked ham

lay it face down in a rectangle foil pan.

Cut diagonal lines in it, from one edge all the way over the top and back.

Make the cuts about 3/8" deep.

rub thoroughly with yellow mustard.

coat liberally with brown sugar.

Whole can of sliced pineapple - hang the slices on the ham with toothpicks and pour the juice over the ham.

cook in the KK @350f for 2-3 hrs.

the edges of the cuts will brown up nicely.

Re: Ham recipe

This is how my wife and I prepare ham.

One fully cooked ham

So I'm assuming you're not the one fully cooking the ham.. It's a store bought.

Why did you decide not go the full distance and start with uncooked meat? Have you been unsuccessful in getting the consistency or saltiness you wanted thru brining?

I'm actually pretty picky and always ask for a slice of many hams in the deli before finally settling with one..

But if you are smoking I'd recommend apple wood..

;);)

Results

BTW, i did try the recipe I linked to at the top of the thread. I thought the rub was really good and a nice alternative to the normal ones that are brown sugar based (though I like those too).

Mixed feelings on the injection. The ham came out super moist, but since I didn't fix a control ham without the injection, I am not sure how much of this to attribute to the Komodo. Although you couldn't see any injection trails, on some of the bites you would get a burst of the vanilla flavor and maybe some of the rum. Just not what a ham is supposed to taste like. If I were to do this again, I would probably reduce the quantities of those two flavorings.

Overall though, the meat got very good reviews.

Results

BTW, i did try the recipe I linked to at the top of the thread. I thought the rub was really good and a nice alternative to the normal ones that are brown sugar based (though I like those too).

Mixed feelings on the injection. The ham came out super moist, but since I didn't fix a control ham without the injection, I am not sure how much of this to attribute to the Komodo. Although you couldn't see any injection trails, on some of the bites you would get a burst of the vanilla flavor and maybe some of the rum. Just not what a ham is supposed to taste like. If I were to do this again, I would probably reduce the quantities of those two flavorings.

Overall though, the meat got very good reviews.