cruzmisl

The most elusive perfect pork butts EVER!

Ok, so its damned cold and windy outside but I'm doing some butts anyway. As I posted here http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3401&highlight=

I had an issue with high temps during an earlier cook so after I sealed the rear door I decided to try another butt.

So I plan to have some friends over for dinner. I wake up at 0430hrs and build the fire. I put the butt on at 0600hrs and take off to work. Its only an 8lb butt so I figure it would be done way before 1800hrs which is when I'm planning on eating. I call my wife periodically throughout the day to check the guru temps and its bang on at 250 all day :) This is great since there was a really strong wind today which means my cooker is tighter than a gnats @ss.

I get home at 1400hrs and the cooker is still plugging away at 250f. I check the temp of the butt and its 147f :shock: I look at the dome temp and its at around 200f. I open the cooker and immediatley realize my mistake. I filled the basket, placed the stone on top of the basket as a heat diffuser then put a pan above that to catch the drippings. Trouble was I put the temp probe at the rear of the grate which is hotter than the center where the butt is. The guru thought it was hotter than the cooker really was :mad: So I moved the probe and bumped the temps up to 265f on the guru which is an indicated 250f at the dome.

Needless to say we went out for burgers. Its 2200hrs and I just pulled the butt off. It looks and smells delicious despite cooking it at glacial speed.

What's most amazing is this cooker is going for longer than 15hrs and still going strong. I didn't add a single chunk of lump :eek: Are you kidding me? Talk about efficient!

Try that on your Weber :lol:

Here's a picture of the butt. The taste was absolutely TREMENDOUS and that bark was heaven.

butt.jpg

Nice little dig there FM! :twisted:;):lol:

That being said, I am glad that I learned to set the temps on the KK manually before hooking up the Guru. I had the Guru before I had the KK, but figured that I wanted to learn the ins and outs of the KK before leaning on the Guru for help. That being said, if all is set up correctly, it is nice having that little bit of insurance tending the pit while I get my ZZZZZZ's!! :D8)

Great looking cook Cruz!!