bryan

How-to-make-pastrami-smoked-corned-beef-brisket

I did an imaginary one of these last week for a Reubenfest. Everybody loved it.

Cooked in a pan on the upper while three racks of ribs cooked on the main.

Next time I'll try on the grate over a small drip pan, to see if the texture changes.

I DO recommend soaking the corned beef for a few hours prior to putting on the mustard and rub.....

I succeeded out of sheer luck and the performance of my trusty KK! I switched the probe wires going into the DigiQ, thought things were going great until the meat internal temps registered 275 and the dome temp was around 325! I was perplexed for a while and then realized my mistake! ( gave up all alcohol for lent again, my liver must be casting off toxins to my brain!)Sooo, got everything straightened out and all told it took about 8 hours to get the internal up to 185...around midnight! left the lid open to let it cool down, and transferred it to the downstairs beer fridge( very full ).

Here is what I did, first rinsed the corned beef brisket off, and dried it as best as I could, I then mixed up 1/2 cup paprika,1/2 C chipotle powder, 3 T corriander, 3T dry mustard powder---NO SALT! Rubbed it down and let it soak in a good long time(3 minutes) grilled it fat side up to get the fat crispy. Threw a couple chunks of apple wood , indirect with drip pan! Sliced the next morning...really great, could have used more chili powder and the mustard powder was kinda old, so I don't think it contributed much.

IM9xr.jpg

I remembered this from 2010 and finally tried it. We bought a corned beef brisket, 4.2 pounds, it was a piece of flat. It came with a spice packet, meant for a boil, which I sprinkled on the meat, it wasn't very much at all. I made a rub of peppercorns, coriander, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, mustard seed and ground ginger; and pulverized it in a coffee grinder. I put a thick layer of the rub and did a hot fast cook, foiling when the meat hit 167. It's a really tasty alternative to a standard brisket and worth cooking. I did not try to soak out any of the brine, just cooked it as is. Pretty nice little change of pace.

Yeah, with St. Patty's right around the corner, should be plenty of cheap corned beef briskets in the market now. I did one last year. Soaked it overnight first, then dry rubbed with lots of black pepper, coriander, and garlic powder. Then smoked it lo & slo like a normal brisket. Pretty damned tasty if my memory isn't shot (ha, ha)!