pmpapi6

pork injection recipe

Hi All-

I used a modification of this for a fresh ham (about 7 lbs, bone in, for Easter) which was apple cider (1 cup), 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tbs worcestershire sauce. I had already brined the ham so I omitted the salt. I injected in as many spots as possible. Cooked at 350 indirect for about 3.5 h (internal 135) and rested for 30 minutes. Extremely moist. Highly recommend this approach.

Resisting--- Injection--- Joke---

Being new to the BBQ scene, the injection idea sounds interesting.

We have a monthly knitting (ladies) and guitar (gents) group and it's my turn

to host. We were so pleased with the butt/shoulder we made last weekend,

we decided to make it again for this dinner.

Let me know if this sounds like a good strategy. Inject and rub on Monday

night (refrigerate), cook overnight Tuesday, and serve on Wednesday night.

Or should I inject just prior to placing the meat on the grill?

When i inject butts, I rub them, wrap them tightly in saran wrap, then inject them through the wrap, hoping it might help hold more liquid in there. Then the next day, I unwrap and sprinkle with more rub when they go on the KK. Lots of injection still leaks out, so make sure it is in a deep enough container in the fridge.

Your plan sounds good...but why not just put it on early AM the day you plan to serve it? Nothing like letting your quests get a smell of the smoke when they arrive!

BTW, I made a nice injection for my Easter ham: Pineapple juice, honey, a handful of sage leaves, whole cloves, and a twig or two of rosemary simmered for about 30 mins before cooling to room temp and injecting.

Then made a glaze using roughly the same stuff, except also some crushed pineapple, ground allspice, and brown sugar in the mix. Simmered it down for about an hour and glazed the ham the last hour of cooking. It was mighty tasty :D

I remember my Dad used to inject/pump hams through the artery in the leg.The hams would take up to 10 to 15% of the raw weight in brine, I have never done this, but have recently thought about trying it. Lately we have been using a brine and putting our boneless legs in a vacuum tumbler to "inject them" under vacuum. It's not something everyone has access to, but sometimes you can find them on Craigslist or eBay. I've had great success using this to marinate almost anything, and the formulations are easily found.

Some FoodSaver models have a short air hose for "rapid marinade" containers. I don't know what pressure they get up to, nor do I know how big of a container you can get (OEM is 2.25 quart, but there may be aftermarket). I've been dying to try mine out but, sadly, I can probably only fit a few chicken breasts or steaks into mine - definitely not a full cut like a ham or loin. They do sell generic lids for things like coffee cans, I wonder if I can craft a pressure-ready, food-safe tube large enough to hold a pork loin that would still fit the lids which are 5.25" in diameter...

Love them butts

...Your plan sounds good...but why not just put it on early AM the day you plan to serve it? Nothing like letting your quests get a smell of the smoke when they arrive!...

Good recommendation. We put the butts (plus some brisket and beef shortribs) on this morning and cooked all day. Guests arrived and we pulled the meat off right in front of them. Lots of oohs and aahs. LOL, talk about drool! No pictures - wild animals snarling and drooling scared me too much. Thought I'd lose my hand and the camera! :muffy:

I forgot about the injection, but the food was so tasty - and the best part is that the low and slow imparts so much good flavor that we really don't use very much rub or salt. I served the pulled pork with Portuguese sweet rolls and BBQ sauce. And here's the fun part, I made homemade chocolate pudding - haven't had that since I was about 5 years old. :smt101

Finally, the ever present wine:

Vallado Douro d.o.c. 2007 Vinho Tinto [Portuguese Red Wine]

St Francis 2005 Sonoma County Syrah

The Works 2004 Howell Mountain Zinfandel

St Francis Sonoma County Old Vine Zinfandel 2004 Tres Viejos

Paradise Ridge The Convict Zinfandel Rockpile 2006

Esmeralda Valley 2002 Syrah Calaveras County Chatom Vineyards