LarryR

First KK Turkey - Deflector Question

Doing my first KK Bird this weekend and wanted to get opinions on my setup. I'll be roasting her on a rack in a pan to catch drippings for gravy; I'm thinking of using a drip pan as a deflector or should I use the stone too? My biggest concern is I don't want the bottom of the roasting pan to burn my drippings.

Thanks in advance, cannot wait to fire this bird up tomorrow.

deflect

Use the stone deflector to protect the roasting pan from direct heat. Your juices/ drippings won't burn; and make great gravy, I've done it this way. The gravy will have a smoky ambience, from mild to very strong depending on your lump/ smokewood. So, we make a small separate bird in the oven just for the drippings, to make a separate smoke free gravy. Some guests like it smoky, some straight.

Put the deflector on the basket handles.

I am assuming you are cooking it at roasting temps? I sometimes do whole birds on the upper grate (if they fit) and place the drip pan under them on the main grate. More even browning and heat circulation that way, and still get to catch the drippings. Either in the pan, or above the pan, the deflector is the way to go.