joebyk

Slow cook lamb?

Syzkies did a 6 hour and sounds like he was a little disappointed that "it did not fall off the bone". My KK is arriving in the next week. I am part of the "Slow Foods" movement here in New Hampshire - tougher here than when I was living in CA for a short time. Should I do 12 - 24 hours?

Any slow food - slow cook - advice out there for lamb?

How big, what temp, how long, how position - up/down - on the KK? 6# semi boneless.

My KK is arriving in the next few days and doing a "christening" party on 5/29, so gotta get this down soon.

Thanks in advance.

J

Re: Slow cook lamb?

Syzkies did a 6 hour and sounds like he was a little disappointed that "it did not fall off the bone". My KK is arriving in the next week. I am part of the "Slow Foods" movement here in New Hampshire - tougher here than when I was living in CA for a short time. Should I do 12 - 24 hours?

Any slow food - slow cook - advice out there for lamb?

How big, what temp, how long, how position - up/down - on the KK? 6# semi boneless.

J

When cooking on your KK you will need to stop thinking in terms of how long..That's for the oven and bread..

Different pieces of the same cut and weight will take different times to cook depending on the amount of fat and connective tissue which is cooling when being broken down..

You need to focus on the meat's temperature only..

Only the temperature determines the meat's texture and doneness..

Make sure that your meat is room temperature when you begin, Most people roast at 325º until their desired temp Med Rare 140º Medium 150º Well Done 160º

If you wanted it to fall off the bone, I'd probably foil it when it hit 140º because while lamb has fat outside the muscle it does not really have marbling and cooking too long could dry it out.. Foiling will capture the moisture and keep it moist.. you could also add some white wine and fresh rosemary to the foil pouch..

Lamb can be a bit tough if overcooked..

Best to cook a little hot that way you can brown up the outside before it becomes overcooked and dry in the middle.

I like and cook mine to medium rare.

Have a good cook and don't forget to take photos for us.. You do know that we'll say, "It did not happen" if you don't post the photos here..

;);)