T Rex

BBQ / Smoked Chicken

After seeing Larr's post I thought that I would give a chicken a whirl. Spatchcocked it, applied olive oil, Montreal Chicken Spice and pepper while the KK was heating up.

I decided to do an indirect cook and got the KK settled in at 275F dome. Put the bird in and never checked it until 3 hours later...... breast temp was 169 so I took it off to rest........

The KK warming up

20100522_1183.jpg

Three hours in......

20100522_1185.jpg

Resting

20100522_1189.jpg

I have to apologize for not having a plate shot. The chicken took longer than I expected and I let it rest for 30 minutes so we were really running behind......... The chicken was very moist however I might of over done it with the Apple wood chunks... I mixed them in with the lump but never thought it would take 3 hours....... so a bit too much smoke.

T Rex

T Rex when you say to much smoke--how much wood did you use? Just curious since I would like to do a couple of Lilly's loaf pan chickens this week end(!!! MY FIRST COOK !!!) I'll bet I now hold the record for owning a beautiful new KK and not cooking on it.

too excited

The day my KK arrived, we had to put it in the driveway until I could get help moving it. I tore the crate off, started a fire right then and there and threw a pork butt on it straightaway. I may have the record for fastest first cook after delivery! The thing is, my wife was pissed as hell I spent the money, and I wanted to wow her with an awesome meal the first day. It worked.

T Rex when you say to much smoke--how much wood did you use? Just curious since I would like to do a couple of Lilly's loaf pan chickens this week end(!!! MY FIRST COOK !!!) I'll bet I now hold the record for owning a beautiful new KK and not cooking on it.

Probably a dozen chunks 2.5 inches square dispersed with the lump. For some reason I thought it was only going to take an hour or so however when you cook indirect, as the Doc stated elsewhere earlier, it takes quite a bit longer.

T Rex

Hmmm so I used 2 chunks and don't believe it was enough. My first fireing and cook came off without a hitch. Easy to maintain temp. I did the Chris Lilly loaf pan thing. Good thing I did two chickens--granddaughter was having a fit to get on the lake and by the time we came back there was hardley enough to eat must less take a picture!! Note to self: get another loaf pan, two ain't enough.