Screaming Eagle

Procom 4 arrived today! :)

Wahoo! My Procom 4 arrived today!

Of course, the same top notch equipment, as always from this company!

I had concerns of whether or not the wireless base would reach the Pendent through a floor joist, and five walls, (about 40') but hey!...it did with no problem!

I have used the Guru Products before, and just sold my DigiQ II to a friend, so that I could upgrade to the wireless unit. My health has not been good and I'm still recovering from a Double Lumbar Fusion Surgery, and will continue to do so for several more months. Needless to say, I do not want to get out of bed, climb a set of stairs and check on a controller that really does not need to be checked on! I now have the ability to do that while laying in my Tempru-Pedic bed!

While there are those who may scratch their head at the high cost of this unit, and lean towards the CyberQ II, I'm very comfortable with my purchase decision.

I only have a couple of complaints, the first being the belt clip seems rather odd in comparison with the rest of the package. It is only my opinion, that it could have been better constructed, as it seems quite flimsy. I have tried to attach it several times, only to have it fall out of the holder. The only other complaint that I have is the Back-light feature, and wish one could adjust the length of time that it is on. Maybe there is an adjustment in the menu for it, but I have not located it yet.

I was happy to see that extra meat probes came with the Procom 4 to fill all the ports offered in it. Very nice feature, to be able to monitor more than one cut of meat at the same time.

One thing that still baffles me is the 9-volt battery for the base unit? where is it? Do I have to take all four screws out of the case to get to it?

One other thing!... and maybe I missed it in the instructions, that I somehow fail to read from time to time ....is a reminder for owners to make sure they remove their AA batteries when not using the Pendent. Batteries do corrode from time to time, if left in any electronic device for long periods of time, and it can be rather expensive to repair the damage left from such.

All in all, I'm very pleased with Procom 4! There are many attractive features about the Procom 4 unit, and I will try to report more on them as I get a chance to use it for my low and slow cooks.

SE

Yup, remove the four screws to access the 9v. It is however a lithium and it is only for monitoring if the ac power source fails. It should not need replacing for a long time.

I also use lithium cells in the remote and have never had an issue arising from leaving them installed. Of course I do use it often, so that should be taken into account.

The clip is flimsy, but that also allows you to bend it around to fit tighter too. But it will not take bumping. Cell phone case would be a better idea is the belt clip is desired.

Wish there was a way to adjust backlight timing. I have asked them for it before. Maybe they will add it to a future firmware update as they have added numerous things since the earlier versions. Finally updated mine last year. You can always check the super user menu to see if it is in your firmware version. BTW, what is their lastest....it shows during bootup?

Sounds like maybe they changed the plugs too. The probe plugs on mine are basically an S-video plug wired to two thermocouples. So two probes on one plug.

Here are some hints & tips if you need any getting started.

viewtopic.php?t=913

-=Jasen=-

Thanks for the input! I was already headed in the direction of the cell phone holder after thinking about it :D

My wife and I are professional photographers, and have several of the wireless devices to fire our flashes. I cannot tell you how many times I left batteries in, only to find corrosion when I went to change them out. It will only take the first time to change your mind :D

I will check on the version # when I get home tonight. There is a possibilty that maybe they did in fact change to different probes, and I will call them today and see. Mine came with a single pit probe and three meat probes, all 8' at my request for the upgraded length offered when placing the order. Im still very pleased, and havn't been able to take my eyes off of it since I got it last night :D I set it up on the kitchen counter and set the pit temp to 81 degrease, and let her fly! It never did warm up the house! :lol:

Thanks Again for your help!

SE :D

Just got off the phone with Bob from Guru, and he said they upgraded the unit, and it now ships with probes used with the CyberQ II. I will take a peek at it when I get home to see what changes have been made. I also asked him about the back/light adjustment, and he said he would look into getting it done in the future, and really was not sure that it could not be done now in the advance menu. I will look for that as well. :?

Bob was a very nice man to deal with, and I always appreciate good customer support from a company with top notch products. Again, I'm Pleased! :D

OK! The Procom 4 says 2.2 when I fire it up, and the probes have stereo type plugs on them now. I fired it up last night for a cook on the egg, and all went fine as usual :D

Bake Potatos and Flat Iron Steak was the choice for dinner last night. Once I figure out how to add photos, I will start posting them for you all.

SE :D

I plan on doing the same, when I get the time :lol:

Naked Whiz, I have been to your site hundreds of times in the last two years since I have gotten into this little BBQ Hobby of mine, and have the upmost respect for you. This has been a great experience for me, and the members have been more than willing to help.

I love these little gadgets that take some of the worry and work out of the cook. Im sure that many, if not all the members and visitors, appreciate your efforts with information you provide.

DrunkJ is another member that has been willing to provide much needed help that lowers the learning curve of us Backyard Qr's.

I tip my hat to you both! ;)

SE 8)

So far I have found a couple of changes to the V2.0 Rev 3 Hardware

The (combined) User Manual for both V1.9 and V2.0 Rev.3 Hardware can be down loaded from the BBQ Guru Website.

1. Temp Range is 32 to 475 degrees, instead of the 32 to 400 on the V1.9 Software.

Missing from the documentation:

2. There are 4 main screens now and not three as listed in the User Manual

The additional screen shows all probe temps. Pitt, Meat, Meat 1, and Meat 2

These are accessible by pressing the up arrow from the main screen.

3. All probes are Stereo type now.

I will look for more changes tomorrow when I have more time to evaluate it.

SE

I hope I have not made an error here, and trust the members here have quite a bit more knowledge than I do with this type of system. If I have, my apology.

8)