slu

Chuck Roast Low and Slow

I want to try a low and slow for a 7lb bone-in chuck roast. I was anticipating cooking to 185-190 at 200. Since I haven't yet tried this cut on the KK, is this the correct temperature target? What do you folks advise. Thanks in advance.

Once I'm thru my smoke I cook at 235º and above only..

I want to try a low and slow for a 7lb bone-in chuck roast. I was anticipating cooking to 185-190 at 200. Since I haven't yet tried this cut on the KK' date=' is this the correct temperature target? What do you folks advise. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I may start out at a low temp (to keep the airflow low) for the initial smoking phase (careful here as it's easy to over smoke beef too)

I'd run a big chuck at 250º

If it's a particularly gristly chunk of meat (wild game) with lots of connective tissue I might drop the temp during the plateau to make it last as long as possible.

For briskets I drop the last hour to the target meat temp to reduce temp climb after I pull it out..

;);)

Re: Once I'm thru my smoke I cook at 235º and above only..

I want to try a low and slow for a 7lb bone-in chuck roast. I was anticipating cooking to 185-190 at 200. Since I haven't yet tried this cut on the KK' date=' is this the correct temperature target? What do you folks advise. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I may start out at a low temp (to keep the airflow low) for the initial smoking phase (careful here as it's easy to over smoke beef too)

Dennis, is the "235 and above only" for the purpose of reducing the smoke profile? or simply to accelerate the cooking process (as compared to 200)? Thanks

;);)

I did a whole chuck roll a while back, and was surprised by the amount of fat that was in that cut of meat. While contemplating doing the whole chuck roll, I had also seen all the posts (mostly from TVWBB) advocating foil. Once I got the thing cooking on the KK, I scrapped the foil plan and let it go un-foiled for the entire cook. YMMV since you are doing a much smaller piece.

Here is a link to the thread with my pics and discussion of the fat and foil:

viewtopic.php?t=2476

I actually just pulled a foodsaver bag from this very cook out of the freezer and made enchiladas from it last weekend. Even after freezing it was still might tasty!

I did a whole chuck roll a while back, and was surprised by the amount of fat that was in that cut of meat. While contemplating doing the whole chuck roll, I had also seen all the posts (mostly from TVWBB) advocating foil. Once I got the thing cooking on the KK, I scrapped the foil plan and let it go un-foiled for the entire cook. YMMV since you are doing a much smaller piece.

Here is a link to the thread with my pics and discussion of the fat and foil:

viewtopic.php?t=2476

I actually just pulled a foodsaver bag from this very cook out of the freezer and made enchiladas from it last weekend. Even after freezing it was still might tasty!

Thanks FM. I had previously read your thread on the chuck roast. Quite a hunk of meat! I re-read the thread again, and am unsure why you wanted to foil the roast. Was it to retain moisture or break down the tissue? or both? I'll probably go without the foil this time, and see what happens. I was planning to put it on this evening around 8pm at 200, and just let it cook through the night. Dennis had advised (above) to cook at a higher temp after the initial smoke. I'll try his method as well on another cook. With the longer cook time, I can sleep through the night!

I was planning on foil to retain moisture, based wholly on the recommended methods on other forums. Maybe they need to foil but we certainly don't on a kk.

I agree with dennis on the 200 being too low. Too much time in the grill can still dry it up on you. Can you put it on later and let it run through the night at a higher temp?

Yah, that's no problem. I was basing the cook time and temperature on my recent experience with a rolled pork shoulder that I did last week. 17 hours at 200 and cooked to 185. It was quite good and moist with a nice bark as well.

FWIW Update

Ignited the charcoal at 8pm. Heat soaked the KK to 200 degrees and stabilized for 1 1/2 hours. Placed chuck in the KK at 9:30pm. Went to bed! Checked the KK at 0630 next morning. The temperature had creeped to 250, and the meat was at 168 degrees. Have lowered the temp now to 220 and will await the final target. BTW, it's a scorching 55 degrees here this morning on the Central Coast. It's suppose to really sore today and peak at 75 degrees!

Re: Once I'm thru my smoke I cook at 235º and above only..

Dennis, is the "235 and above only" for the purpose of reducing the smoke profile? or simply to accelerate the cooking process (as compared to 200)? Thanks

;);)

Simply to accelerate the cooking process and maybe melt out some fat which there can be a lot of..

;);)

Well...

How did this turn out?

...and I KNOW you are not holding out on the pictures!? :shock:

Sorry FM for not posting the resluts, but a family emergency required my departure. I'd say the the results were mixed. The meat had good bark and flavor, but portions of it were a bit dry for my taste. Were I to use this particular cut of chuck in the future, I'd give it an hour or two of light smoke, then wrap it in foil for several hours; then finish it unwrapped. Or wrap it in bannana leaves and cook it similar to a deep bit Q. It's all a learning process for me, particularly with some of the more exotic cuts to follow!