Loquitur

Am I crazy to want a mini big green egg too?

Green Egg for small batches

Green Egg makes 4 sizes, I have owned 3 before recently buying the KK.

All except one had 5/8" grate holes except the largest with 3/4" holes, talk about burning fuel. I gave mine all away when the KK arrived and since have retrieved the second smallest for doing small jobs for just my wife and I, but there is a nuisance question. After just one burn the grate plugs up and has to be cleaned after just a few minutes of burn time for a couple of hamburgers etc. If you don't mind the hassle of cleaning for such a low burn time they do seem to save fuel over the KK but I am rethinking my choice of using it for small jobs.

Nevertheless, I'm not putting any fire above the official level without an explicit OK from Dennis.

Remember, I'm here because I basically destroyed a competitor's K7. The KK can take much more, but I'm not using it outside spec without an OK from Dennis.

The side walls are not designed for the high temps associated with close proximity to charcoal.. The hot face is rated to 2.200º and will be fine but there is a chance the acrylic material used as an adhesive for the tiles could be pushed past it's max rated temp..

If you would like to use charcoal above the Firebox do not use it for too long if at high temps.

Re: Green Egg for small batches

Hogboss1 says:

Green Egg makes 4 sizes, I have owned 3 before recently buying the KK...there is a nuisance question. After just one burn the grate plugs up and has to be cleaned after just a few minutes of burn time for a couple of hamburgers etc. If you don't mind the hassle of cleaning for such a low burn time they do seem to save fuel over the KK but I am rethinking my choice of using it for small jobs.

Yikes, Hogboss1, thanks for pointing that out. I have never read that criticism on the Big Green Egg forum. I mind hassles of all kinds so that would make me extremely aggravated!!

Susan

By using the mid level grill, you don't have to reach so far down in to the KK. The cooking is probably about the same. So yes, for grilling you can just have your fire down in the normal charcoal basket and put the sear grill on the basket handles and there's your grill set up. You just have to reach down there a little to put on, and flip your food. Cook and I just gave you an alternative to get the fire up a little higher, that's all.

Re: Green Egg for small batches

Yikes' date=' Hogboss1, thanks for pointing that out. I have never read that criticism on the Big Green Egg forum. I mind hassles of all kinds so that would make me extremely aggravated!![/quote']

Susan I don't think I've EVER read anything negative about an Egg on the BGE Forum. I think they have a no criticism of the Egg policy over there. And don't EVER try to post something about another ceramic (similar to this thread) over there, you'll be run out of town.

All, I am a bit late to this discussion, but I have an aluminum grill as my backup, called a Portable Kitchen. My father has had one since the 1960's, and still uses it to this day. Several years ago, someone bought the company and is now making the PK again. It is made of cast aluminum and has a grill about 15x21 in. it can cook direct or indirect, and you can shut it down to save charcoal. A great addition if you want more cooking options and flexibility, and they last forever! 40 yrs plus from my father's personal experience. Here's the web site for anyone who may be interested.

http://www.pkgrills.com/

VRTom