T Rex

Home made beans

Now that fishing is over and the rainy season is upon us, I thought that perhaps it was time for some comfort food.... which usually includes home baked beans in our household.

I fired up the KOoker before lunch and took it to around 300F

20101017_1779.jpg

and put the beans in on the top grill (they had been on for 1 hour with the lid on in this pic)

20101017_1778.jpg

several hours later (note the darkness)

20101017_1784.jpg

Mrs. T Rex was very pleased with how they turned out. I used some apple chunks for smoke and stired them every hour so that the smoke flavor would permeate the beans.

Call me nuts but I really like Yorkshire Puddings filled with home made beans so Mrs. T was kind enough to accommodate me......

20101019_1789.jpg

We had this with home made Tortiere however it was soooooooooo late by the time the beans were done to my satisfaction that we never took any plate shots..... :(

T Rex

Re: Home made beans

Very simple to make and delicious JD..... :D

1 lb. of white beans soaked for 24 hours

1/2 lb. of smoked Pork Jowl diced up

1 medium onion diced up

1/2 cup of ketchup

1 tablespoon of dry mustard

1/2 cup of dark molasses

1/3 cup of brown sugar or equivalent Maple Syrup

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Cayene (optional but tasty) :twisted:

Salt to taste (because the Smole Jowl will be salty I wait until the end to add any salt.

Put everything in a bowl, water, beer or stock to the top of the beans and cook on the KK for about 6 hours at 300F

T Rex

Re: Home made beans

Those beans look amazing! I've doctored up cans of beans in the past by adding some pork drippings from my KK cooks. Then I add in some of the shredded meat from the cook and let them simmer for a bit on the KK. When we pull everything off, it is amazing! Plus, I tend to load up my beans with meat so they are a meal in themselves the next day.

Now I am inspired to try homemade beans - thanks for the recipe and for the pics! 8)