jacksyee

Sirloin Roast

Re: Sirloin Roast

I have a sirloin roast im going to put into the roto basket.

Im goign to pan sear the sides then put it in at about 325 until 130 or so?

Any tips?

I think the advantage the roti gives you is uniform direct heat.. Great for melting the fat in bird's skin or browning meat cooking directly at higher temps..

While it could be used to uniformly heat the roast, I'm not sure that it's the best way to tackle this cut of meat.

My suggestion would be a reverse sear.. I'd stabilize your KK about 280ºf with some wood chunks with the upper grill inverted down on the charcoal basket with the drip pan on it and without the main grill installed

When the smoke turns blue or looses it's grey-ness put the roast in the KK on/with the unheated main grill.

Use an external thermometer with probes on cables to monitor your meat temp.

I'd then take it up to your desired 130º remove the roast, pull out the main grill and pan then crank it up over 650ºf dome. This will give you 800º plus down in the charcoal. Sear your roast on all four sides about 30 seconds per side.

That should give you a nice medium rare roast with plenty additional flavor from the smoke and searing.

You could turn it direct on your roti basket but it will be tough to monitor your meat temps in the cradle also..

I definitely think you will get more flavor searing in your KK as opposed to a pan..

Have fun with the cook..

looking forward to hearing about your cook..

and seeing the photos..

;);)

turned out great, roti basket was cool.

My dad has a roti gadget for prime rib so i wanted to try it. A little olive oil ask a mop sauce and turned out fine.

I'm thinking you will get more flavor if you start turning it at a lower temp with some wood for smoke. Then after a bit crank it up to 650º-700º for a few minutes then close off all the airflow.. it will drop to about 400º run for a while and check your meat temp. By then you would have cut the fire way back and you could open the daisy wheel fully (door closed) with the top open and you'll get about 350º to finish. If you like you can always throw the drip pan inside after the sear to finish it indirectly too..

You'll get some extra smokey goodness.. the outside will be nicely browned with maybe some blackened tips from possible flareups from the fat.. You can half open the lid to check progress durning the high temp portion as not to over brown/blacken.. Someone here on the forum probably could tell you/us how long at 350 each lb might need to cook.

Just my 6 cents..

There are of course 20 ways to skin this cat..

and the end results will all be good..

:|:|

My wife is Pregnant and she cant deal with smoke flavor for some reason so I'm minimizing smoke for 3 more months (she loves it otherwise)

I like the idea of getting the KK very hot, searing, then just letting it cool down.

Someone told me to put flour on the meat as well as rub when doing this.

Anyoen tried that?