smokeylips

KK in Freezing Temps

Re: KK in Freezing Temps

I live in northern Illinois and have no problem with the KK in freezing weather. I have done both high temp, and low and slows to perfection. I just clear the snow from the cover, and the ground, and give it a light. On real snowy days it cool to see everything covered in snow except the KK.

Extreme Cold

Extreme Cold:

The adhesive/grout like material is actually an UV resistant, acrylic polymer, industrial insulation with nano ceramic microspheres.. It's a NASA spinoff and extremely durable. Service Temperature: Continuous:-40ºF/-40ºC : 500ºF/260ºC It is elastomeric and moves with the KK as it expands from the inevitable expansion when the cooker hits high temps. We have many Komodos living in the Northeast.. There is a shutdown procedure that will prevent condensation forming and freezing in your KK.

;);)

I can't remember the exact procedure but; I think the idea is to close hat/damper to snuff out the fire then open the damper/hat again while KK still warm. Let cool with vents open thus air drying any condensation that may form in the cooling process. Then close hat/damper later.

I've never done it though.

I have never had the need to close it up to prevent a mildew or mold growth. I'm not sure my KK is as tight as it should be at the moment, but it cooks great and I can snuff the coals out right away.When I shut the lid I can still see ashes fly out of the draft door after the top has been screwed down.