Syzygies

First cut chuck ("rib eye") = best burgers ever

So we like to grind various meats for burgers (using The Sausage Maker TSM Stainless Steel Meat Grinder #10 and various blades, accessories). Best bets in the past have included short ribs, brisket, skirt steak.

Tonight at my favorite butcher (Diablo Foods in Lafayette, CA), Porterhouse and T-Bone were on sale for $11 per pound. I asked for a few steaks and let slip I'd be grinding them. (We really do prefer burgers to steak, if they're done right.) An up-and-coming kid was horrified; he insisted on cutting me a 3 pound "first cut" chunk off the end of a whole chuck, next to where the rib eye steaks come from, for all of $10. I ground it through the 1/2" and 1/4" plates in turn, discarding what didn't pass through easily, and made 150g burgers. I grilled them on the main grill two minutes per side at 600 F, coming off rather rare, but cooking further en route to table.

Best burgers ever, both texture and flavor. I'm sure I'm preaching to the primeats choir, but I thought I'd nevertheless share.

Re: First cut chuck ("rib eye") = best burgers ever

Interesting and consistent with some of our past posts extolling the superiority of low and slow chuck over briskets. For newcomers to the forum, search "Chuck Roll".

Also see: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroll.html

The Weber Bullet forum is dense packed with cooking info, I peruse it often:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

A great primer on brining there, btw.