jacksyee

My Brisket is dry

Re: My Brisket is dry

Was the brisket trimmed or an untrimmed "packer cut"? Briskets are one of the most difficult and fickle cuts to BBQ. while I have never injected or treated them any other way than to just do a low and slow, a lot of pros do inject or ad a broth to the brisket after it's been taken off the grill while in a plastic bag. The latter is not perfect, but can somewhat rescue you if you've over done it ( I've done this with a turkey breast a time or two when I forgot to set the alarm on my thermometer at the store) I'm pretty sure everyone has over cooked or had a dry brisket from time to time. I haven't done it yet but I'm itching to try the high heat method described on this forum.

Long time members may be sick of hearing this, but for newer members here goes:

Low and slow is the traditional method for brisket, but it can easily result in a dry product. High heat, fast cooking with foil at the halfway point WILL give you a super juicy and tender result. There is a sticky, I think under the "Techniques" thread. Basically you cook your brisket indirect at any temp from 225 to 325 until it hits an internal temp of 160 to 170. Then wrap it tightly in foil and cook it until it is very tender when poked with a sharp object. Having done many briskets both ways, I will never do a low and slow unfoiled. Check the sticky for the full method.

Smoking at 220 F until 192 degrees.

It's too dry.

I generally dont need to open the KK more than once during the entire 16-20 hour process.

I haven't brined or injected - what can I do - any advice?

Hot open face sammies!! With lots of brown gravy. Yummy.

Dave Z, evaluate the fast method for us please. As a respected "Meat Authority" would be nice to hear your thoughts on it.

My personal claim remains; I have more consistent better results using the fast method. I too struggled with slow cook briskets drying out.

I'm no "meat authority" but I've played with it enough to give what I would consider an above average opinion. In my experience, for choice and lesser grades no question go high heat, just plain increases your odds of a great brisket. Choice CAB, Prime, Wagyu and Kobe, low and slow baby.

I'm no "meat authority" but I've played with it enough to give what I would consider an above average opinion. In my experience' date=' for choice and lesser grades no question go high heat, just plain increases your odds of a great brisket. Choice CAB, Prime, Wagyu and Kobe, low and slow baby.[/quote']

Dave Z, You may need to go to Sams Club for us commoners! Ha!

Larry, soooo what's the difference using a high end brisket on fast cook versus slow, that makes slow better?

unfortunately it was not a 120. i think there wasnt eneough fat - ive spoken to my butcher about getting me a flat/poin packer cut. i will try the high heat - interesting.

I did foil it with about 4 hours to go.

I take it off at 192 internal temp

i think a lot fo it is i dont have the correct cut of beef - i will try again and report bac.

Carbling?

I wish there was a term like "marbling" to describe collagen rather than fat. The connective tissue that dissolves as part of a low and slow cook.

For lean meat uninterrupted by any features that benefit from low & slow, I'd side with the fast cook approach. I see this sort of meat at commercial BBQ establishments outside Texas, because it's cheap and customers don't know or don't care. To me it's not brisket. (The best brisket in my life was served to me in Elgin, Texas. #2 through #N have come off my KK, all low & slow and expensive meat.)

Paying more for brisket can be one way of insuring lots of collagen. It certainly isn't the only way, and it offends purists concerned about process. (By this argument, should one be using a $3K cooker? :( )

I spend what I have to for brisket that benefits from a low & slow. With enough collagen, the brisket is never dry.

You don't finish the brisket by internal temp. When you think it is getting close to being done, poke it with a sharp object at half hour intervals. When it is very tender, it is done. I use a skewer. If you have wrapped it in foil at the 160ish mark, poke your sharp object only in to the meat but not all the way through! You will lose the considerable amount of juice that is collecting in the foil, and you WANT that juice.