ifly61ce

Guru /Thermapen question

When grilling a steak high heat then shutting down the air like FM does when Grilling meat is the Guru probe fast enough to get good accurate temps? or do most of you all just time it?

I know the Thermapen is super fast but was looking for advise being I don't want to open the lid to check all the time with the Thermapen.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Guru /Thermapen question

You'll have a feel for about ow long it takes to get to your target temp. I actually cook them by feel, and confirm the temp when i pull them off the grill. Even as quick as a thermapen is, it gets mighty hot on the fingers to reach down in there to temp steaks after a raging sear. If they are not cooked enough, they go back in to dwell a few more minutes.

Re: Guru /Thermapen question

For me I only use the thermapen. The guru probes are slow and cumbersome. With high heat grilling the heat loss isn't significant like a low and slow. I open my lid all the time and my steaks are well seared and delicious.

Do you use your thermapen to check your steaks for doneness? If so, is it one of those foldable fast read thermapens? I haven't purchased one yet, partially because I can't decide on color!! Also not sure I need such a high tech pen as I don't use it often. But I need something as my pocket thermapen battery door has failed. I'm thinking if folding model is good for determining steak doneness that might be the deciding factor. hehe

Anyway, I give up on feel for doneness on steak; I just haven't been able to master it. In fact I've pretty much given up on steak for guests just because it's so hard on me emotionally to not get guests steaks done perfect. I know the experts say not to poke steak but, if the pen works hell with it.