qundoy

smokin cheese

Re: smokin cheese

I presently use about 5 or 6 briquettes in a small pan and some thin slices of apple wood laid on the briquettes. I have also, when I am lazy, used Olde Barbecue Smokecones that I found at Ace Hardware. They come 3 to a pack, one apple, one hickory and one mesquite. I use the apple cone then used the hickory cone. They smoke for about 25 minutes. I smoke cheese for my trainer and he said the smokecone cheese was the best I had done for him.

Re: smokin cheese

drhank, i started on a cold morning about 25 degrees outside, i used about 1 lb of royal oak smalls and apple chips that were not soaked in an aluminum foil package to cut down air flow as much as possible. i put that into the bottom of the cleaned out fire basket, and dropped 1 or 2 small pieces of lit lump in the package, added the heat deflector, racks, cheese and barely cracked the top and bottom damper.

you may want to pull a piece at 1 to 1.5 hrs to taste to your liking. Also i have started using a bread cooling rack to put the cheese on it make it much easier to bring in, and gives an airspace underneath while cooling.

Good luck with your cheese, my wife loved it, had requests coming in from her office for the holidays.