kravnh

Chris Lilly's Championship Pork - how long for rub?

Having a group of omnivores over on Saturday, so among other things going on the KK, I'm going to do a 10.6 lb Boston Butt using Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder recipe. My question is regarding the rub and injection: how long before cooking should I inject and rub? I plan to put the butt on at midnight on Friday, letting it cook overnight. Should I inject and rub right before it goes on the KK, or should I inject and rub on Thursday, giving it 24 hours to absorb the flavor?

Other foods going on the KK on Saturday include a few dozen chicken thighs, some kielbasa I got from the Polish market, grilled portobellos, and "Saturday Night" Vidalia onions.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Keith

Re: Chris Lilly's Championship Pork - how long for rub?

Ive done it both ways, depending on how much planning I had put into the cook.

I think the best bark came from applying rub the night before, wrapping the meat in plastic, and keeping in the fridge until ready to go on the grill. The salt in the rub pulled some natural juice from the meat which helped to dissolve some of the sugar and rub, so it could reabsorb. As the meat went on the grill I gave another little dusting of the leftover rub.

Now with Chris' specific recipe, I always make a major mess with the injector, and it also runs out of the meat and puddles around it when you inject the night before. Ive tried injecting and wrapping in plastic, and even wrapping in plastic before injecting, but it doesnt seem to make a difference for me. So the injection becomes as much brine as anything else, since it pools around the meat if you let it sit overnight.

If you do the injection, you might be able to apply rub, and then put the meat on a rack, so its not sitting in liquid all night. Otherwise, your gonna lose all your rub in the liquid and be reapplying it when you put it on the grill anyway. I haven't tried it, but that is what I would do if I wanted to give the injection and rub both some time to work.

I used Tony Chachere's injectable garlic and herb marinade in a 14 lb. turkey on Mothers day, did it the night before and cry-o-vac'd it . turned out incredible, would have even been better if we'de have eaten it when it was done instead of two hours later! But hey, it's all for Mom, right!? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I made the rub according to the post LarryR made a few years ago, here. I was digging around in my boxes of cookbooks yesterday, and found my Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. I decided to compare the recipe on the forum to the recipe in the book. Imagine my surprise when I found that the Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder was now an Eight-time World Champ. But I also found that the quantities in the book are extremely small, for example, 1/2 Tbsp dark brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp granulated sugar, compared to 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup, respectively, in the recipe posted by LarryR. The strange thing is, the quantities in the book are nowhere near enough to cover a 16 lb. shoulder, so why would those be the quantities in the book. Also, the quantities are slightly different for some ingredients, meaning that if I scale the book's recipe up, the quantities do not match the recipe on the forum.

I know I'm wallowing in minutiae here, but I tend to do that sometimes. I'm just wondering if anyone has a clue why these changes exist.

Keith

Is there nutritional info with the recipe in the book? Maybe the smaller scale recipe helps keep the sodium and sugar numbers from having too many digits? The differences in the quantities might just be from rounding up or down to the next standard unit of measure? All just guesses, of course.

No nutritional info in the book, so I can't figure out why the recipe is so small, considering it also calls for a 16 lb. shoulder. Rounding up or down may be the reason for the discrepancy, the other thing I considered is that Chris may have altered the recipe just a bit so that he might continue to win with it, and the rest of us can only come close...