Hashbrown3

I'm STOKED!!! (newcomer)

Pardon the pun if u will gentlemen. Greeting to all... Customs had better be gentle with my new baby, a brand spankin' new 23", dark metalic bronze beast...

My wife and I ran into a BGE dealer over a year ago near our hometown of Cypress, TX. After a year of due diligence, I am pleased to report that I did not make a rash purchase that day. Instead, I feverishly await delivery as I know my research has brought me to the promised land.

I have yet to name my sweethart yet but remain open for suggestions... The cool thing is that my wife has been on-board from the onset. She and I have experienced that all-familiar "its time to buy another grill honey" let-down every 1.5 to 2 years. Each time, it was all I could do to find someone who would take the latest heap of rusted aluminum off our hands to salvage the parts...

Oh lawd, as I look at the 500lbs of elegance (cannot get image to upload from Dennis's email}, I realize that Dennis has capitalized upon years of experience, refining and re-engineering his KK cooker to become the cadilac of the industry. :salute:

Quick Questions:

what is best method to get it from driveway around to back porch traversing lawn? Two 2X4's method?

best option/value for coal initially?

what tools should I use for both the coals and food? Elongated stuff in order to not have hairless arms?

do y'all recommend cover?

Looking forward to the learning from all of you vets!!! Wooo Hooo!!! :D

Re: I'm STOKED!!!

Congratulations!! welcome to the club.

Getting to the back porch across the lawn, I found that two pieces of 3/8" plywood and a tip for the driver work well.

The tip to get the driver to help move it around back using the pallet jack off his truck.

The plywood to lay down on the lawn to roll the pallet jack over. Two pieces to keep alternating end to end as you progress to destination.

I am assuming the porch is at lawn level. If it is not, then possibly using the 2x4 method at that point would be in order.

Congratulations on your big purchase. My KK is arriving tomorrow and I plan on using the Forearm forklift straps instead of the 2X4 method (which does require padding between the wood and the KK). I will be taking off the top of the KK to reduce the weight, and then we shall see if I can create a new hernia for myself. I will let you know how it goes. There was a previous posting for the forearm forklifts (as seen on TV) on this forum, and it looked like it will work.

Rob

Congratulations on the new family member smokincyclist!! Please do let me know how this lifting method works out bud... I will surely pad the 2X4s to prevent injuring my honey... I assume yours cleared customs and then you were alerted by Dennis? Please advise so I might better understand the sequence of events prior to delivery...

-HASHBROWN-

Re: I'm STOKED!!! (newcomer)

hashbrown, your gonna love it, the plywood and tip for the driver suggestion is good, as for the charcoal i have been using royal oak that i get at walmart, i bought a couple of bags of koda lump the other day and it did well on an overnight porkbutt.

if you are in north texas for a ranger game shoot me an email, could be tasty animals on the coming off the KKooker before the game

congrats

I agree all suggestions on moving should work. leaving the top off and the fire box and grates out until you get it placed is probably the best thing to do, just be careful with the top. It wants to flip over when you carry it, and place it on the body, so be gentle, and use two people. I have a pair of long bbq gloves that go up the forearm that work well, but most of the time i use either welding gloves, or just a pair of leather work gloves if the fire isn't too hot. Finally, get a cover. JohnnyBoy can custom make pretty much anything you want. I had a nametag made for 'Captain Stanley', complete with Navy shoulderboards. I sent the nametag to Johnny, and he sewed it on for me. Even though the KK is weatherproof, it seems penny wise and pound foolish not to get a good cover for it. Most times, as soon as i close the vents after a cook, i put the cover on, since the outside is usually warm to the touch. If i can put my hand on it, i put the cover on. Good luck, and enjoy. VRTom

hashbrown, your gonna love it, the plywood and tip for the driver suggestion is good, as for the charcoal i have been using royal oak that i get at walmart, i bought a couple of bags of koda lump the other day and it did well on an overnight porkbutt.

if you are in north texas for a ranger game shoot me an email, could be tasty animals on the coming off the KKooker before the game

congrats

Baseball and the consuption of tasty animals roasted over royal oak sounds pretty tempting. I cover DFW area so just might shout out if I get close to Arlington. Maybe a cold one will be in order. I know I will love it Qundoy, thanks for the shout out!

I agree all suggestions on moving should work. leaving the top off and the fire box and grates out until you get it placed is probably the best thing to do' date=' just be careful with the top. It wants to flip over when you carry it, and place it on the body, so be gentle, and use two people. I have a pair of long bbq gloves that go up the forearm that work well, but most of the time i use either welding gloves, or just a pair of leather work gloves if the fire isn't too hot. Finally, get a cover. JohnnyBoy can custom make pretty much anything you want. I had a nametag made for 'Captain Stanley', complete with Navy shoulderboards. I sent the nametag to Johnny, and he sewed it on for me. Even though the KK is weatherproof, it seems penny wise and pound foolish not to get a good cover for it. Most times, as soon as i close the vents after a cook, i put the cover on, since the outside is usually warm to the touch. If i can put my hand on it, i put the cover on. Good luck, and enjoy. VRTom[/quote']

Trudeto, preciate ya sir!! Thats my biggest paranoia, having the beast go head over heals and crack or something. I will be arranging some help. No need to be hero w/ 550 lbs brother :roll:

I have plans for a cover and Dennis tipped me off w/ JohnnyBoy contact info/link... Forum is sweet. I will be taking some pics off my back porch once this conversation piece actually makes it there!! I will have neighbors over and act like nothings going on... Gotta feeling Dennis will be getting more inquiries from Cypress, Texas soon... :D

Welcome and don't forget the camera. I like the plywood leap frog method, moving the crate from the truck to the porch. A case of "Bud" or a "$20 bill" seems to work well for the drivers.

I suggest a 2x4 on grass parallel to porch as ramp for plywood.

Again welcome and keep those pictures coming.

Special note:

Get those points "Ask wife to name the new family member"

If you use the 2x4 carry method, PAD the 2x4's!!!

If you remove the lid, make sure you understand how to release the spring. Open the lid all the way, prop it open such that it CAN NOT fall closed, and release the spring.

Cook a pork butt first.

Post a couple pics.

And welcome to the club!

Welcome and don't forget the camera. I like the plywood leap frog method, moving the crate from the truck to the porch. A case of "Bud" or a "$20 bill" seems to work well for the drivers.

I suggest a 2x4 on grass parallel to porch as ramp for plywood.

Again welcome and keep those pictures coming.

Special note:

Get those points "Ask wife to name the new family member"

all superb advice cook_shack! I will incorporate all of them into action... If the little lady names her, affection is sure to follow :idea: ...and we've yet to savor even the tiniest morsel...

If you use the 2x4 carry method, PAD the 2x4's!!!

If you remove the lid, make sure you understand how to release the spring. Open the lid all the way, prop it open such that it CAN NOT fall closed, and release the spring.

Cook a pork butt first.

Post a couple pics.

And welcome to the club!

Much obliged Doc! Cravings for pork butt indeed. If I were an English Bulldog, I would be in danger of drooling uncontrollably. Judging by your body of work, I will do my best to keep the fine tradition of KK pride alive. However, I may need a tip or two from you seasoned veterans... I believe you have the dark metallic bronze sculpture at your house. After seeing this color selection, I knew it was my personal favorite immediately. Then I was lucky to hear Dennis was close to shipping one from his facility overseas. I hear I was rather lucky as some folks have waited much more than a few weeks for thiers to be manufactured. Bliss.. I will certainly take some pics when she arrives in Cypress, Texas. Thanks for the advice sir!

fetch?id=66803

I woulda put a pic of Captain Stanley with his uniform on' date=' if only i could figure out how to attach photos!!! Tom[/quote'] Here you go Tom. Lets hope this works out; required resize smaller than I hoped for to see embroidery. Thanks for the kudos. I've been out of the net for awhile; just playing catchup. Rather than individual posts of thanks to those who commented on my covers while I've been out I'll do it here. Many Thanks!

post-6510-139082393771_thumb.jpg