MadMedik

Turkey on KK

fetch?id=68204

Here is my first Turkey on the KK. Did it last weekend. It turned out very nicely if I do say so myself. 12 Pound Turkey, Not Stuffed Cooked at 325 for 2hours, 45 minutes. Stoker controlled perfectly I put ice bags on breasts for about 45 minutes prior to cooking, to even out the finish time with Thighs... Done at 163 degrees IT on breasts at the same time thighs at 173 degrees... Used 2 chunks of Cherry Wood for smoke, one at the beginning, 1 about 90 minutes in to cook. Used Indirect Stone with drip pan, both placed on the handles of coal basket...did not save drippings. Rub: just melted butter and salt and pepper a few hours before the cook. Tasted great, moist, a very light smoke flavor. It smelled VERY good...i love the smell and taste of Cherry wood. Ate some for dinner (saved wings for the wife), then ground the rest up the next day for an awesome Turkey Salad sandwich spread. Very satisfied. :smt003

Re: Turkey on KK

Very nice. I like the simplicity, Butter Salt and Pepper. I've never tried ice bags before, that sounds like a good idea. I've done something similar with steaks though. I like mine a little less done than the ladies of the house, so I'll throw one in the freezer to drop the temp a little before I cook them. Then I just cook them all the same and mine will still moo a little bit.

Re: Turkey on KK

Very nice' date=' love the color, did you tent with foil during the cook to maintain that color?...[/quote']

That bird is lovely indeed!! I'm thinking that light mahogany color is from the cherry wood - at least that's what I've read. I bought a bag of cherry wood chunks for that reason but haven't tried them yet.

Susan