TheNakedWhiz

Question about truck delivery

When my new beauty arrives, do I need to tell the delivery company anything in order to ensure that they don't leave it in the street but rather 3 feet away from the street in my driveway? If I can get them to put it on the driveway and not have to worry about the gutter and the ramp up the driveway, I'm good to go with my neighbor helping. I could at least get it into the garage where I can wait for a third person to help get it up the two steps and two steps to get to the back deck. So is there some magic phrase regarding them bringing any equipment? And assuming the driver is helpful how much would you tip him? Thanks!

Re: Question about truck delivery

Both my deliveries were willing to put it anywhere in the driveway I wanted. They use a pallet jack to bring it off the truck, so they can just roll it where you want it. As long as the pallet jack can clear the curb slope, or the truck maneuvered so the liftgate will be in the driveway, you are set.

When I talked to the trucking company to arrange a delivery time I checked to make sure the truck had a lift gate and driver would have a pallet jack. The driver backed the truck into the driveway and used the pallet jack to put the crate exactly where I needed it. The scariest part of the whole process for me was watching him get the crate onto the lift gate of the truck. He had to turn the pallet jack with the KK crate on it 90 degrees to give the lift gate room to operate. Naturally the driveway is not quite level so there was a danger that the whole thing would roll off the gate and one wheel of the pallet jack was about an inch from the edge of the lift gate during the turn. I tipped him $20, he initially refused it but I convinced him to take it. He earned it, it's not easy to maneuver a 680 pound crate.

I had a tree crew with a large bucket truck lift the crate onto the back porch, that was actually less stressful than getting the thing off of the truck.

My experiences were both stress free, the drivers were accommodating and put the crates onto my back porch.

They used the pallet jack they brought, I had two sheets of 3/8" plywood ready to traverse the backyard and go up the 3" rise to the porch.

I tipped the driver $20 on each trip.