Pyrophoria

Holding low temps

I just got my new KK positioned on my deck and am having difficulty keeping the dome temp below 300 degrees. The lid seems to be sitting correctly; there is an even gap of about 3/16" along the interface between lid and body. I am not using a stoker, so I inserted a 8-32 screw into the opening in the polder port plug. The top damper was only open about 1/2 turn initially, and the draft door was closed, with the daisy wheel open about 3/16". After the temp passed 300, I closed the top damper and the daisy wheel. Three hours later the temp is 380. :(

I,ve seen posts where someone was having trouble geting over 300 degrees. It seems I have the opposite problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Holding low temps

I was having the same problem as you when I first started using my KK.

I learned all these tips from this forum so I'm just passing on others info.

1. Don't light too much Fuel. If your aiming for 220 to 250 only light a small section on top the size of a tennis ball.

2. Top hat open just enough to see smoke less then 1/4 turn.

3. If using a stoker or Guru bottom vent closed. otherwise open just a crack or so.

4. Make sure the back door is closed and no ashes or debris is letting air in.

Thats all I can think of for now, these tips helped me.

Are you sure your lid is closed in the second position? Check the ash cleaning door and confirm it's not open.

Ditto Larry. You can close lid and it will partially latch, but not all the way. Temps will rise too much. Push firmly on latch to close completely.

The dial wheel at bottom will be open only slightly. 1/4 turn at top for 250ish....

Refer to owners manual. It has some sample settings to help with desired temps

The latch thing has caught several new owners by surprise before! Yeah, latch the lid ALL the way shut. The daisy wheel opening down front should be barely open the thickness of a nickel. Roughly. And the top hat just barely off its seat. You'll get it sorted out.

My $0.02 worth:

I have found that you must make your adjustments before your KK gets heat soaked at a higher than desired temp. It is very hard to back down temps once heat soak occurs. Also, a set temp rises slightly, cooking au naturale, as the cooking meat temp elevates. This can be as much as 20 degrees or more during the latter stages of certain types of cooks. Finally, make certain that the draft and ash doors are absolutely tight. I ran a bead of hi-temp Permatex around Mable's back ash door to seal it shut completely. Mable sends her best wishes. 8)