MadMedik

What is your KK's name?

Re: What is your KK's name?

My KK is named Mable, much to the chagrin of my wife. She is a bit jealous of Mable, especially when I caress her (the KK's) wide hips. I named her Mable because she simply looks like that ought to be her name- the name of a good, comfort food producing woman. That's my Mable!

My KK is named Ralph after a young USAF airman that started off as a clerk in my Orderly Room. Ralph was a master at following instructions from his assigned supervisors (of which he had many).

Example:

On a wire repair crew a few miles from Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Ralph's supervisor told him to get a tool from his jeep. Ralph was back in a few minutes stating there was no such tool in the jeep. The Sgt told Ralph to go back to the jeep and he had better not return without the tool. --- Three hours later Ralph returned with the tool (from (Korat RTAFB 50 miles away).

When giving it to the very upset Sgt. Ralph said: "I found it on your desk, Sarg")

The very red Sgt then asked how he started the jeep. Ralph looked at him with that innocent face and said "The key was in it Sarg"

Ralph was great for spreading happiness and smiles among the troops, and he could always be counted on do exactly as instructed without fail.

Today, opening Ralph's lid means to create cooking that cannot be surpassed.

Todays only potential problem with Ralph: "The Nut That Opens The Lid"

My first one, the Terra Blue OTB V2R2, is named Godzilla, the second, the Terra Cotta Gen2, at the shop is called Enterprise, as it was the first working model on display in the US, and an reminder of great things from Dennis to be distributed in the future!Also, Enterprise was the second unit to be shown on live TV, the first being Godzilla a few weeks earlier!Enterprise was the second KK to be featured on national tv,WGN,a day or so after Chris Lilly was on GMA!I think Chris had a bit larger viewing audience ;) .

My KK's name is Captain Stanley. Captain Stanley started his career as a boiler on a Naval Gunboat in the China fleet in the 1920's. After an illustrious career in the Navy, he retired, and was living comfortably on his Navy pension. It is here, where he took his original passion for providing slow, steady heat, and decided to turn his skills in the Navy into somewhat of a hobby, and he developed a real skill for slow cooking. He would have remained in relative obscurity, except for a quirk of fate that brought him into the limelight.

In the early 1960's he was hired as a consultant for the movie 'Sand Pebbles' which was released in 1966, and starred Steve McQueen, Candice Bergen, and Richard Crenna. This is a great movie about a gunboat in the Yangtze River in the 1920’s, a subject the Captain knew something about. During filming of the movie in Taiwan, the cast became bored with the food, and asked Captain Stanley to provide a few BBQ lessons, to spice up the meals a bit. Attached is a photo of Richard Crenna posing with the Captain. Upon completion of the movie, he once again retired from the public, and settled in Southeast Asia, eventually befriending the young grandson of the great Art Linkletter. Once again, Captain Stanley shared his extreme knowledge of fire, heat and his long smoldering passion for cooking, and the result is, of course, the Komodo Kamado.... and the rest is history. In grateful acknowledgement of his contributions to the world of KKooking, Art's grandson offered him a free berth on a shipment of KK's headed to the US, and Captain Stanley made it to the Patuxent River, a stones throw from Annapolis and the US Naval Academy, from which he started his long journey those many years ago.

...you asked..... Tom USNA 78

( i got a feeling the picture won't embed. i am not smart enuf to insert the pic, but i do have one of Richard Crenna and a younger Captain Stanley!!)