ajaeger

KK *should* be here by the weekend!

My husband and I have looked at these for a couple years now. A few months ago, we looked at tile colors and both liked the same one. Since he's an "I gotta have it now" kind of guy, I decided in May to purchase it and surprise him. Two months later, it's almost here and he has no clue.

So I want to be able to hit the ground running this weekend, probably cooking BBQ ribs. I purchased the rib rack with the KK. Haven't even started to think about charcoal. Any suggestions on what/where to buy, best recipies, etc. I guess we'll just figure it out as we go, but I thought I'd check with the pros for some tips. Thanks!

ajaeger

Re: KK *should* be here by the weekend!

Get whatever lump is available in your stores for your first cooks. You can worry about sourcing other lump, if necessary, later. I'm a wild eyed proponent of a pork butt for your first cook. Why? Because just about anything else you might cook like chicken or burgers or steaks, could be done on a Weber, or a gasser, or whatever. Use your KK for it's highest application, pork butt!There's about eight million posts on these pages about how to do it.

....I decided in May to purchase it and surprise him. Two months later' date=' it's almost here and he has no clue....jaeger[/quote']

What a lovely surprise - I wish I could be there to see his reaction to this incredible acquisition!!! Pulled pork is a wonderful cook but it takes a long time if you use the classic low and slow technique. Doc has helped me on a number of occasions with my pulled pork and it has come out great. If you have that time, it's a number one choice, but if you don't, let us know what kind of time you do have for the first cook and this group can walk you through something else that will be fantastic.

Susan

Hello, you did do a wonderful thing for him, great idea but hard to keep it secret! I found Royal Oak lump charcoal at my local Walmart! Make sure it is made in the USA, some is made in South America if you wish to use lump. Its burns hot but also faster than briquetts

Matte Ocean Green. Will have to think of a name for her (I've already decided it's a she!) My truck just arrived in Baltimore, so will set-up delivery appt tomorrow. Still hope to get it by the weekend... Looked at pork butts at the grocery store. Decided to wait - hubby may get wise if he sees a huge hunk of meat in the fridge. Looked for Royal Oak at Walmart but didn't see any, will check the BGE store tomorrow.

That Matte Ocean Green is gorgeous, it would be awesome by a pool, or a water feature. Be careful when you get Royal Oak that you get the lump. Their briquette bag looks very similar. I once grabbed a bag of briquettes by just glancing and not looking. We have lump here in three different grocery stores; also at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and another local hardware store. So hopefully you should be able to find some in a store near you.

Hide your pork shoulder in a cooler with some ice in a place your husband won't go!

Hi. I am not sure where you live (and I am not trying to find out) but you must be nearby because the freight terminal that you mentioned is Baltimore. It is always good to discover a KK owner who is in the area. Makes it easier to do pallet shares when Dennis makes the coconut charcoal- the best available and best suited for certain cooks- available. You had better strap a parachute to your hubby's back before he sees his gift. He will jump so high for joy, he may need it! :lol:

We're in Solomons, MD (southern Calvert Co). Unpacking took longer than it should have, but that was fine. Chaulk it up to quality family time, sweating our butts off, minimal swearing, but the patio getting prettier with each board removed. He knew what it was fairly quickly. Very excited.