casebeag

KK as a smoker?

Newbie here.

Been a faithful charcoal Weber guy for many years. Have a good friend who has a KK up in Seattle (I'm in California), and he won't stop bragging about it.

Question: I'm fortunate to have lots of salmon/albacore as I avidly fish here in the Monterey Bay. I currently use a friends 'little chief' for a smoker, but would like to have my own. How is the KK as a smoker?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Re: KK as a smoker?

The two different layers of insulation hold in lots of the heat.

This means that you need to burn less fuel to maintain your cooking/smoking temperature, less fuel means less airflow.

Your smoke stays in contact with the meat longer, giving you more smoke flavor and will loose less moisture.

So yes, the KK excels as a smoker..

;);)

Re: KK as a smoker?

I just did some 'smoked salmon', huge fillets from Costco. Filled up both the main grill and the upper grill (4 huge fillets). I cooked low and slow...for me that is about 180 to 190 degrees, for about 3 hours or so...my goal being 145 degree internal temp or a bit higher if like it drier. Used deflector stone, 2 or 3 pieces of Alder Wood, home made marinade....very tasty. Cut up in 22 pieces, vacuum seal packages, freeze for another day.

The first time the fillets had skin on 1 side, so i just put Pam on grill, put skin side down and it did not stick at all. Cooked on the main grill. The last time, my fillets had NO skin, so i did put just enough foil down to match width of fillets. I also put Pam on foil. Used both grills. These did not stick either. My father did 1 huge fillet on his KK, forgot the foil, and his came off grill quite nicely...no sticking

I have given to several people to try. Everyone love it. KK is a great smoker