ThreeDJ16

Hash

This is not my favorite, but the only one I had typed up.

Georgia Hash

1 lb. Pork

1 lb. Beef

1 lb. Chicken

2 onions

4 Potatoes

2 Mild Peppers of choice

10 Sun Dried Tomatoes

1 - 12 oz. Can Tomato Sauce (start with 1/2 can, then add to taste)

4 TB Basic Smoke Season Rub

1 TB File` Powder

1 TB Celery Seed

1 TB Mrs. Dash

4 TB Black Pepper

4TB Garlic Powder

1 TB Salt

12 TB Texas Pete

2 TB Liquid Smoke

5 TB Lemon Juice

20 TB Ketchup

10 TB Vinegar

10 TB Mustard

Cook all meats (after fat removal) with basic smoke season, till tender. Flake off meat and remove any more visible fat. Defat broth with skimmer and use to cook potatoes, onions, peppers, and tomatoes till tender. Add meat back into mixture and add all other ingredients. Cook till desired consistency and serve over rice.

Hey TonyO, I know you asked for a good hash recipe a long while back. Just wanted to mention that one is in the works. Need to make it one or two more times to get the amounts right, but so far it is great. The cool part is I am using a pressure cooker and it takes under 30 minutes verses the normal all day cook. Anyway, will post soon when I get it committed to paper.

-=Jasen=-

I'm sometimes a fan of long recipes, but not for hash. Hash is the ultimate use of bbq leftovers, be it pulled pork, brisket, or house-cured ham (my favorite). Combine exactly one such meat with onions and potatoes, and a few carefully chosen spices. Salt and pepper works.

It's "hash", not "mush", so do everything in one's power to keep the ingredients distinct. Fry the onions on their own. Steam the potatoes in advance and chill them (the usual "twice cooked" starch routine that makes french fries taste so good), then pan saute them on their own until you're tempted to serve them straight up. Finally, combine all the ingredients, but not into a mush.

Hash is all technique and hunch, no recipe. If you're not thinking "That's all?" when you make it, you're using too many ingredients. It is great with fried eggs and hot sauce. The leftover barbecue is, however, what makes the hash.