TheNakedWhiz

Naked Whiz - KK CoCo Char Review is posted....

Re: KK CoCo Char Review is posted....

I didn't say you had one...I'm saying you should spend your holiday weekend MAKING one :P

Extruded is a new technology for many people, and it definitely behaves differently than standard lump. I just thought it would be a good reference to get people over the learning curve and using it for more than just low/slow cooks. Extruded doesn't store as well when you try to snuff and save the leftovers after a cook, so some kind of reference to gauge how much to use might cut down on loss, and put extruded in the same cost/BTU ballpark as lump?

Just an idea - I know I would be curious to have the data, and maybe a comparison of the same measurements against a common lump like RO, and even Kingsford briquettes?

... Extruded doesn't store as well when you try to snuff and save the leftovers after a cook, so some kind of reference to gauge how much to use might cut down on loss....

I am about to fire up my first batch of the new extruded and this is the first I've heard that it doesn't snuff-and-save as well as lump. Is this a common experience, and I'd be curious to understand why this happens. Any ideas?

It will snuff, and it will save, but it becomes fragile. You will lose some to disintegration the more you handle the leftover pieces. Its a characteristic of the extruded...just the nature of the beast.

A few people have a second charcoal basket so they can swap out the baskets when going from lump to extruded, and minimize the handling of the leftovers.