Paswesley

Taste Seasoning for KKs?

Seasons Greetings, KK Family. When I looked at the thick crust of baked on smoke, food oils and spices encrusting Doc Mguerra's KK, I was as awed as everyone else. I assumed that he had allowed it to accrete on purpose. So, I was surprised to see the after pictures that Doc soon posted that showed the crust cooked away by his prolonged high temp burn. Could it have been a mistake to remove the encrustation? I am very curious as to whether Doc is noticing any taste differences now that the crust has been removed.

Here is why I bring this up. I know that it is a common practice to season a griddle by cooking spices and condiments and building up a thin crust on the griddle. This griddle seasoning imparts a subtle flavoring to the foods that are cooked. Of course, in the case of a KK, the food does not come into direct contact with the interior surfaces of the hot face. Nevertheless, it is possible that the encrustation lining the surface of an often used KK may function in a way that is similar to the way that seasoning on griddles affects the flavor of foods cooked on them. Am I whistling Dixie here, or am I onto something? My guess is that the encrustation does affect the flavor of foods cooked in the KK. What do you guys think? Doc, have you noticed any subtle differences in the flavor of foods that you often cook and have a good mental flavor profile for? What do you think, Dennis?

Re: Taste Seasoning for KKs?

When I looked at the thick crust of baked on smoke' date=' food oils and spices encrusting Doc Mguerra's KK, I was as awed as everyone else. I assumed that he had allowed it to accrete on purpose. So, I was surprised to see the after pictures that Doc soon posted that showed the crust cooked away by his prolonged high temp burn. [/quote'] Do you mind posting a link to the post referenced, I don't recall seeing it and spent about 5 minutes looking for it with no luck. Thanks - Larry

It's in the thread "lighting the grill"

Well, I am doing my first post burn out cook right now, some chicken thighs. Should be able to report later this evening.

I'll build that tarry gunk back up all right, with plenty of low and slows and plenty of mesquite. Won't take long.

Re: Taste Seasoning for KKs? We all know that burning fat definitely has/adds it's own flavor profile to food. This is obvious when you cook chicken, common sense would lead me to believe that once his grill got hot enough to cause the fat to burn some flavor would be created.. Especially while doing his 350º hot and fast butts and briskets because 350º about where I start to get smoke off my drip pan. What amazed me the most is how sparkling white and factory fresh the inside was after his burn off.. I've obviously never gone long enough or hot enough to get those results.. Amazing! n67008 n67009

post-6370-139082397463_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082397467_thumb.jpg

We all know that burning fat definitely has/adds it's own flavor profile to food. This is obvious when you cook chicken, common sense would lead me to believe that once his grill got hot enough to cause the fat to burn some flavor would be created.

Doc' date=' have you noticed any subtle differences in the flavor of foods that you often cook and have a good mental flavor profile for? [/quote']

Dennis' comment renders a bit ridiculous what I had in mind. As one can see, I suggested a subtle taste enhancement. Burning fat would add an unpleasant taste profile. I agree that common sense would cause one to know that burning fat has a flavor profile. That is why I specifically stated that I was wondering if any subtle flavors were imparted. I now see that I should have also stated that I was referring to cooking below the smoke point of the fats that have coated his cooker. Any flavors issuing from below the smoke point would be less harsh or acrid. Oh well, this is what comes from pushing the envelope of subtlety.