LarryR

Butts over Butts Advice Needed

Anyone do butts over butts on a regular basis? I'm doing four butts tonight, two on main grate and two on upper/extended grate. I'm thinking the butts on the top will finish before the butts on the main grate due to the heat rising and holding in the dome, am I right? Looking forward to feedback from others who have done this cook. Thanks in advance!

Re: Butts over Butts Advice Needed

I'm thinking the butts on the top will finish before the butts on the main grate due to the heat rising and holding in the dome' date=' am I right? [/quote']

Good minds run together, I guess. I am cooking some bone-in country ribs right now. I recommend you use some heavy duty aluminum foil to cover the sear grate and create a huge indirect cooking area. Leave the front opening, where the cross bars are missing, uncovered. There is a discussion thread in the forum that details this technique. This will tend to lessen the tendency that you mentioned. Even with this technique, the upper butts will finish a bit earlier than the bottom ones, assuming they are all about the same size, etc. You might place your temp probe in the smaller of the butts on the upper grill. When it is done, transfer to the larger upper butt. Once they are both done, remove the upper grill and place the probe in the smaller of the two lower butts and follow the same procedure as above. Alternatively, you might transfer the lower butts to the upper grill once the top two are taken off. Be sure to use a foil lined drip pan. There will be a lot of drippings. Make certain that none of the butts are touching. This technique and procedure has yielded good results for me.

I recently cooked 2 butts, top stacked at 225 grate temp per guru. They were about the same size and the top one finished 1.5 hours faster. I just put the meat thermometer in the upper one and wrapped and put it in a cooler when it was done. Moved the thermometer down and was good to go.

I do this regularly, with no or very little difference in meat temps from top to bottom! this is our Facebook link. Pardon the permatex on the lower lip of the cooker, we have put this unit through the torture test, nearly used every single day of the year except Sunday and Monday, rain snow or shine! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Thanks guys. Any issues with the rub on the bottom butts being washed off due to the drippings from the top butts? I ended-up only throwing two on today due to a few too many adult beverages last night and forgetting all about putting them on. Got two on this a.m., going 275 on this cook due to lack of time. Never done butts at this temp, hopefully they'll turn out, they're for a work potluck. Don't like experimenting when others will be eating my Q. Fingers crossed.